WANTED-DIMMER COIL 1918

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WANTED-DIMMER COIL 1918
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Cameron on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

I AM LOOKING FOR A DIMMER COIL FOR MY 1918 MODEL T TOURING CAR THAT WAS USED WITH THE COMBO LIGHT/HORN SWITCH WITH MAGNETO LIGHTS. THANKS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

I got one for a project maybe 15 years ago and I think it came from Ron Patterson. Hope that helps. Itís a pretty obscure part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

I got mine last winter from Bob's...they had several in stock, both firewall mounted and those mounted to the ammeter blank plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Cameron on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

I'm new to this forum, I'm restoring a model t from the ground up, who is bob's? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

http://bobsantiqueautoparts.com/

http://stores.ebay.ca/modelt2001/

If you don't find what you need through their website, be sure to call. I don't know anyone there personally, but they're very personable and helpful on the phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Welcome Thomas!
I echo Jack's comment.
Be sure to call if you don't have pay-pal. Easy peasey.
Keep us in the loop if you would, I should get one also for a Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Hales on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Hi Tom
Good to see you on here.Tim From Saginaw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Bob is quite amazing, he has parts that one just wouldn't expect! I was looking for a Radiator shell with patina but no rust out. Bob selected on from his collection, and sent to me. It was not only what I was looking for, IT WAS PERFECT!

Do not forget this guy! Thanks Bob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Cameron on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Thanks guys for the help! Bob took care of me. Appreciate the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Just for your info guys - the dimmer coils came in slightly different styles. Electrically they are ALL THE SAME. The core of the thing was made from Fender scrap. Early on they were mounted to the engine side of the firewall and held there by wood screws fed through the core laminations (flat plates stacked) and a hollow spacer was used with each wood screw. The spacer was in fact the same part number as used on the coil points. Though no mention is made of the effect of the wood screw and spacers it would probably be best to use brass versions of both the screw and spacer since brass does not affect the inductance even though steel screws and spacers probably doesn't have much effect on the coil either but I have never measured one of them carefully to verify that. After introduction and at some time after the dimmer coil began to be used Ford designed a small steel bracket that replaced both spacers. That may have been to make sure the magnetic properties were constant and it may just have been to make installation faster and/or cheaper. The only real difference in dimmer coils is the external tap wire length and the ones with the really short wires were the ones mounted behind the ammeter blocking plate on the "cheap" car.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

You can also use the "blue tip" bulbs that were for use on the 1915-18 Model Ts. They are for higher voltage. They may still be made, but there are some old stock around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration