Picked up an interesting antique tire pressure gauge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Picked up an interesting antique tire pressure gauge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

A friend inherited this and knowing I had a couple antique to cars, wanted to give it to me. I've attached photos but it doesn't photograph too well.

It's Imprinted / Engraved with the following:

Shrader Universal
Trademark Registered In US Pat Office
TIRE - PRESSURE - GAUGE
Manufactured by
A. Shrader's Son, Inc.
Brooklyn NY USA
Paid July 6 '09 - Mar 28 '16 Other Pats Pend

I doubt it's at all valuable. I did try to use it once and it doesn't seem work. But a really interesting little trinket.

Side 1
Side 2 Engraving sample
Side 3 Engraving somewhat clear
End opposite valve
Valve End

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 04:10 am:

I have one like it Charlie. The pressure drives the column out of the sleeve, like man others. I can't remember whether mine goes up to the 60PSI needed for T tyres.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:52 am:

That is a cool find. Sometimes they are found with their leather case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:52 am:

I have one of these in a drawer somewhere. I never could figure out how to open it and fix it because nothing happens when I apply air pressure. The big washer on the bottom unscrews, the rubber washer comes out and then it doesn't look like anything is serviceable after that point.

If anyone knows how to repair them, I would appreciate the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Mine works fine after I replaced the rock-hard rubber gasket on the bottom. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Mark has a good solution.

I have a dial balloon tire gauge that my father gave me. I replaced the hard rubber gasket with one from a modern, cheapie stick gauge so now it works fine.

The stubby Schrader gauges are plentiful and not worth much. I see them all the time at estate sales and swap meets. eBay always has a healthy selection. With the exception of the Model A Ford script gauge, they don't command much money.

Here's another Schrader balloon tire gauge that I picked up at an estate sale for a few dollars - it works fine. Note that it is a little different than the ones posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Can I just use a Colt .45 case ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Those are pretty common. I see them on ebay often. I perhaps have the deluxe edition, which is more like a modern one. It is nickel plated too and goes up to 80#. I use if often when checking my T tires. I don't have a leather case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:49 am:

In the shot of the top, unless it's the light, I don't see anything inside the case! No inner works, just the outer case?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Photographing this is a challenge. I see what Mark is saying. But there is indeed a corein there. Fits tight to sides. Just appears as a black plug.

Iím going to try to remove the washer and see if the gasket can be replaced.

Like much of this stuff, the value is in the novelty of it. Especially the engraving with a patent date that has a beginning and an end. And the company name of Shraderís Son, Inc. Not even Schrader himself gets any billing.

Plus, as a cyclist (the leg power type), the valve types are often discussed. Most of what I do is Presta valve, but plenty of Shrader valves out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

The bottom cap unscrews with a flat blade screwdriver, then you can replace the rubber seal.

The top black plug is the indicator rod for the gage, it pops up with pressure and is marked in psi:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Fun thing to collect-they made them with all kinds of advertising stamped on them - garages, tire companies, automobile manufacturers, dealers, etc. See how many you can collect - they are not terribly expensive. I always look at them at swap meets.
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration