7 1/2 degree advanced cam gear question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 7 1/2 degree advanced cam gear question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Does anyone carry an advanced gear that is NOT nylon?

How do the nylon ones hold up in use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Scott call Dan McEachern in CA all of my gears come from him, his bronze gears are works of art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Dan's da man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:54 am:

I was converted to nylon, lasted for years till it went south. The shredded teeth plugged the oil holes in center and front main. Melted down the center main. I will admit it may have been partly my fault. Shifted the Warford from under drive to direct at to high an RPM. It was my first time on tour with the Warford. Car ran so I could load and unload off trailer but had a nice thump. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:08 am:

I have an aluminum timing gear bought through Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane, WA. They drilled the gear 7.5 degrees advanced and I like the hill climbing ability even with 3:1 gears in the rear. (Ok, a few more modifications to the engine like a reground cam, Prus head, SU carb and headers :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:58 am:

I drilled my own gears. Used aluminum gears. Made a jig so it's easy to set up. All the information is on the net.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 09:44 am:

You can take a standard gear and redrill it with the holes off 90 degrees plus 7-1/2. I had to think about it for a week before I decided which way was correct to go with the 7-1/2 degree offset, but it worked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Macky Mongold on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Why 7-1/2 degrees? Why not six degrees or five degrees? Does anyone make an adjustable cam gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Not that I know of, but Jegs offers offset dowel bushings that might be usable on a T cam gear. You would have to drill the hole in the cam gear larger to accept the offset dowel bushing.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/20300/10002/-1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Scott: Check your email. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Dan

got it, see yours...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

I can always supply 7Ĺ degree advanced gears by adding the extra holes at 90 degrees to the stock position if I don't have undrilled gears on the shelf. I try to keep a few in stock with both stock and 7Ĺ degree advanced holes in both bronze and aluminum. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Mackay, read this.

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=599638&post=814799

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

hey Dan Mceachern,been trying to order gears,sent you email and phone call,whats the best way to order?
Thanks Randall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Randall- you have an e-mail from me. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Dan it must not be working Going to send another now let me know if you dont get
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

dmcgears at yahoo dot com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

DAN order sent
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Regarding Macky's question, I too wonder why 7.5 degrees was chosen, other than it being 1/2 tooth different from stock.

It would seem to me that the optimum cam phasing for a given cam would have to be determined on an engine dyno or actual in-car testing, which might be feasible and desirable for Montana 500 use (maybe an existing speed secret?), but a bit of overkill for the average hobbyist. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

We had two men in our chapter that told me years ago the T would develop a lot more torque on the bottom and climb hills better if the cam was advanced by 1/2 tooth. That just works out to 7 1/2. Maybe the perfect number would be 6 3/4 or 8 1/8 but I just followed their advice. I have a car with 3:1 gearing and it needed help. You could be right in that 7 1/2 isnít the best solution but it was very easy to make a jig from an old gear and do the 1/2 tooth mod.

The two men that told me that probably knew more about the model T than anyone else I know. They were Lynn Cook and Martin Alexander. Both now gone but not forgotten.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration