Ignition key numbers ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ignition key numbers ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 01:55 am:

Most of the keys one sees for sale here and on Ebay etc, and the master sets appear to start at key No. 51 and go up to 80 (?) or even higher ?
I have just recently aquired a spare switch plate with what appears to be "33" stamped onto the barrel. It certainly looks to be correct but just wondering if it has been changed / where I would go to source a No.33 key.
It is most likely a Canadian produced switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 02:38 am:

Don't know about Canadian but US keys go from 51 to 74. There are other clum type switches for other brands that used different number keys/switches lower or higher then the Ford range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 11:41 am:

The #33 is probably a Clum. They used a different numbering system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Many other automobile manufacturers used very similar (more than a few nearly identical) ignition and light switches. I am fairly sure the switches used by Ford continued to be made by outside suppliers and not made in house. Years ago, at a swap meet, I talked with a fellow that had a bunch of switches, both Ford and many others. We chatted about the similarities and he showed me several non-Ford switches that had totally different dash mounting plates, but identical handles and identical looking switches. A few of them had marque names on them. (I believe that one was an Overland.)
My guess would be that someone, years ago, repaired your T switch using parts from a non-Ford switch, which used a different key numbering system.
Since Ford did not start this type of switch and key? Pure speculation on my part, I have always figured that the reason Ford's key numbers began so high up the numerical scale ( 50 instead of 10 ) was that they did not want to duplicate the numbers used by others already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

If you find a key that goes into the tumbler, you can take it apart and rearrange / maybe take out some of the sliding brass pieces to make that random key work in your switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Ivan, there are a few people around the country that have keys I guess. I had asked here earlier this year.
I've dealt with Vogel Auto in Michigan and am very pleased.
The man knows his ignition switches. dvogelauto at aol
I bought a B&S #48 key for the buddies Overland and should get in touch again for a Clum #83.
Perhaps you could email him a photo of the switch and your request. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration