Anyone ever heard of a "Plovey"?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Anyone ever heard of a "Plovey"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

I work for a machinery manufacturer that has been in business for close to 150 years. There are things that are still done the same way they have been done for decades. One of the machines has a large shaft with nuts that go onto a threaded portion of the shaft. To keep them from backing off, there is a set screw in the nut, but in order to not damage the threads on the shaft, we put a soft brass plug in the set screw hole followed by the set screw. That way, the brass plug comes in contact with the shaft threads and the set screw tightens against brass plug. Since they are two separate pieces, the brass plug does not turn as the set screw is tightened. It only pushes against the threads on the shaft. The term used for the brass plug is a "Plovey". We have looked on line and cannot find that term used anywhere, other than a family name. Maybe this thing was named after the guy who thought it up? Anyway, has anyone ever heard the term "Plovey".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

I did a search for set screw plugs and came up with a few suppliers that sell something similar that's made of aluminum. Maybe someone else has an idea about the term 'plovey'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

I made and used brass plugs the way you describe but never had a name for them, other than brass plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Friday, November 03, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

I usually have two slices of Plovey on bread with mustard for lunch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:34 am:

With the wide range of knowledge and experience on this site, if no one here has heard the term, I'm gonna have to assume it's just an internal company term of years past that is still with us. Thanks for the responses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Probably some old foreman named Plovey told the guys to do it that way 100 years ago and therefore forever branded it a "Plovey". Can you search company employment records for a Plovey?

By the way, I love old machinery companies that have been around forever. Can you mention the company name and what's made by them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

When I worked for a convention recording company in the 1980s, we had terms for various fittings that I am sure would have baffled anyone outside the company. We called RCA-to-mini adapters "hens' teeth," because you could never find one when you needed it. We called XLR-to-RCA adapters with a 6" piece of microphone cable "rat tails," because that's what they looked like. The company terms were even used on our pre-printed staging sheets when we were packing for a job.

I think Jerry's suggestion of a foreman named Plovey 100 years ago makes good sense.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration