The Silver Streak and the Model T Girls

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Silver Streak and the Model T Girls
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

Darlene's Silver Streak and the Bradford Model T Girls by John G. Butte is an excellent read. The book correlates the many trips Darlene took and the 19 different girls that went along with her, on the different trips. It starts out a little slow as the author sets the background, but when the actual trip starts, it becomes fascinating and you can't put it down. It is unbelievable all that the car and girls went through, and what they were able to do, including meeting Henry Ford a couple of times. On all the trips combined they put about 80,000 miles on the car. I bought the book at the Hershey MTFCA spot for $22.00. Well worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

https://www.amazon.com/Darlenes-Silver-Streak-Bradford-Model/dp/0692491201

AND

https://gypsycoeds.com/

(Message edited by adave on November 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Dan I got to see that car at the OCF this year. Great story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I got to drive and repair the car while it was still in Portland Or. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

That car is now back in the MTFCA Model T Club Museum in Richmond, Indiana and will be there for some time, probably until next Spring at least. I saw it there today during the dedication of the Bruce McCaulley Memorial Library.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Dan, you are right about the book. Even better, come to Homecoming next year and hear the author, John Butte himself, talk about the car and girls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:55 am:

I had the opportunity to look the car over very closely after John got it, and provided some added memorabilia when the car was exhibited in the Peoria area museum. It is a very correct, matching numbers early 1926 car. One interesting item is that it is equipped with clincher tires, NOT balloon tires. If you look closely at the period photos in John's book, you can see that it was always equipped with the clinchers.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Mark and Ron, as you have both been around this car, I notice in the recent pictures the front end sits a lot higher than in the old photos, almost like it has an earlier front end. Do you think it's been replaced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Taken just now at the MTFCA Museum

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Another point of interest, at the same time the girls and the Silver Streak were touring 44 states, Canada and Mexico, four boys from their same town decided to go to Yellowstone National park in their "old faithful" Chevrolet. It " gave up the ghost" and they had to return home by train.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:00 am:

I believe it still has the Model A front spring that was installed at some time after the girls used it in their travels.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:01 am:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/02/09/that-time-the-silver-streak-and-the-gyp sy-coeds-headed-to-california/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:04 am:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2016/07/13/adventurous-gypsy-co -eds

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration