No wonder low speed was slipping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: No wonder low speed was slipping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Took my hands out for re-lining today, it's no wonder low speed was slipping like crazy:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Looks like cotton. It doesn't always wear out. If it's in the car long enough it rots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

With that much band gone, make sure your oil line is not plugged up with band material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Tod, I've run weed eater line through the inside oil line and nothing came out the other end so it ought to be fairly free inside. The picture I posted does lie a little, most of what's missing was in one piece and flaked off when I was removing the band.

In any case, I'm trying my hand at installing Kevlar tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Ah, Kevlar...the bands that dreams and tales of incredible performance are made of!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I am a nature guy and prefer wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Sorry Tim . . .

I ran woods bands until I found something better. Seems my Grandfather had an old roll of asbestos band lining that we relined the bands with. As I was a new T driver in mountains driving A LOT I did wear out the wood bands. I would use wood again and did not have a problem with chatter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

I had briefly looked into replacing my linings with wood but when I read the instructions online they lost me at the part where you need a lathe to modify a drill bit to install them.

The Kevlar linings are riveted on now anyways, now I just have to soak them in oil before installing. Well, I really have to buy oil to soak them in, then soak them, then make a huge mess installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Tim

no need to soak prior to installation. Kevlar will not absorb anything, but will hold some oil to some extent through capillary action, by virtue of it being woven. If you leave them out overnight, the oil will be on the floor and hardly anything on/in the Kevlar...so don't bother with the mess and aggravation.

Install dry on the metal bands. Install into the transmission with hog's head OFF.

Install hog's head. Pour in 3 quarts of oil through the transmission door, flowing over the bands (4th quart into the oil fill opening). Close up door.

Start and idle for 3-4 minutes. Bands will be thoroughly soaked and are ready for use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Sounds like a plan Scott. Why pull the hogshead for so-called quick change bands?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

You want those bands to be round, round, round. If you can somehow get a hold of a junk drum, you can make the bands a perfect circle. You don't want the bands to be dragging on any portion of a drum when slack. Stuffing them through the transmission door is a certain recipe to distort the bands...something to be avoided with any material, but certainly with Kevlar.

This will also give you an opportunity to check the pedal cams for full functioning (max throw) when pedals are depressed. Often times, the cams are worn out, with little sideways motion...when this is the case, the band must be run tighter than desirable in order for the pedal to have any effect...again, undesirable with any band but more so with Kevlar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:47 am:

I install dry (or maybe just a little oil applied by oil can). Then I take my time adding the fresh oil. With the floorboards out, I set four quarts of oil where I can't miss them (like on the running board, or front seat). I slowly pour one quart all over the top of the transmission bands and drum. Walk away and do something else while I let that oil soak into the bands. After awhile, I go and pour about another half quart all over the bands and drums. Go do something while that soaks in. After doing that a few times, I pour the last half quart in from the front filler so that the rods can have fresh oil also.
I figure that if all the oil goes in at once? It will mostly run off and sit in the bottom, not soaking the top enough. By breaking up the pouring of oil, it has several opportunities to soak all the way around. I do this with both cotton, and Kevlar. This way, like Scott C, I avoid the mess.
Wood bands take a lot more time to soak in the oil. I don't think I would recommend this procedure with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Wayne:. Wood liners for trans bands are pre soaked with oil so there should be no need to worry about pre oiling. I'm installing a new set this weekend, already have drained the old oil, replaced drain plug and will pour 3 quarts of 10w 40 motorcycle oil over the new bands and 1 Q t through the fill in the front of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Well, last night I got the new Kevlar bands installed and what a difference! After the oil warmed up I had a fairly free neutral and once I was going the car even felt like it had more power than before.

With the transmission dialed in close enough, I think I'm ready to find some shop to safety this thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Tim

Good for you!
Glad to hear a post-repair report.
Happy T-ing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Tim

Good for you!
Glad to hear a post-repair report.
Happy T-ing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Steve, I found out "the hard way" that new cotton linings that have been in the box for a long time will display no signs of dry rot, but will destroy themselves in less than 25 miles after being properly installed in a transmission.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration