Transmission brake drum question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission brake drum question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

I wish I could post a pic. Have to go by word of mouth. How bad can the lugs on the trans brake drum be before the drum needs to be replaced? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

I think your are talking about the clutch drum. The lugs have to be in pretty good shape so that the clutch disks can travel freely otherwise you won't have neutral and the car will creep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Tolerable...

Forget about it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Mine are 5X worse. I just placed an add looking for another one in the classified. Can new lugs from a 26-27 be adapted over the earlier type drum lugs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

If you mean machining the lugs so that you can fit the later lug shoes, it can be done, but the strength of the lugs may be compromised.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1020.html?1038011158

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

This vendor sells a narrow brake drum with the offset lugs that can accept the lug shoes without compromise. The receipts that came with my car when I bought it from the previous owner say that my car has one of these drums, it has provided good service for the four years that I have owned the car so far.

http://www.davesrestorationandmachine.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Thank you for your time and knowledge. The amount of machining/fabricating with a chance of breakage isn't worth the time/risk. I looked up Daves Restoration and the drums are a little pricey for a "Clown Car". I volunteer in local parades with it and hard to justify a $300+ just for the drum. The T is pieced together like the Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time". And Lord knows it sure is a "piece" (of work) all right! I left a message w/Bob Bergstat and email vincent Vibert. I'm sure I will come up with something. Thank you once again. What would I do without you guys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

My friend Lee Pierce always bought any 26/7 Brake drums he could find and machined the width down to fit in the earlier transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:27 am:

It's not even necessary to machine a wide 26/27 brake drum to fit in an earlier transmission - just run it with the narrow brake band and it'll fit.
You'll need the 26/27 driven plate and the 26/27 style large clutch discs though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

One of the advantages of the Watts style clutch is that the thicker fiber disks are not only easier on the lugs than the knife-edge original type steel disks, but they will not drop into the grooves in a worn drum and hang up, the way that the steel disks do.

Therefore, though a badly worn drum shouldn't be used with any style clutch, you can get away with using a drum that may be too deeply grooved for original type disks.

(Full disclosure: I use, make, and sell the Watts style clutch.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Nice "plug" there R.V. & what he states is FACT !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration