Oil Level Gauge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil Level Gauge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

I finished my variant of Steve's clear tubing oil sight gauge. Has brass extensions soldered to the petcocks and the tubing secured with clamps. Turns out it takes about 3 1/2" oil to get to this level.

Gauge 6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

This is what the soldered extension looks like.

Petcock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Mark -

You'd better open the valves!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Keith

I was thinking the same thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

You open the valves only while checking. You can guess why. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

Huh

so now when you lay on your back, you open two valves instead of one. Plus, you can't get to the orifice to poke away any obstruction to the petcock(s) and ensure that they register accurately. Okay, I guess I get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

One of the drivers on the Montana 500 had a set up like that. The tube melted, he lost all his oil and threw a rod through the side of the block. I didn't see the rod myself but some of the other drivers said you could see the rod sticking out the side of the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:30 am:

And THAT is why you only open the petcock valves when you are checking the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Mac's sells a "Model T Crankcase Oil Sight Gauge,Brass,1909-1927" Part # 16-54587-1. which should work fine but the gauge is exposed and could be damaged if You run over road debris, long shot, but there goes Your oil,and You still haft to get down on your hands and knees to check it. I prefer the Dip stick, I don't crawl under cars like I used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:58 am:

I have always heard, and read that the proper oil level should be between the top and bottom petcocks per Ford. So if you have a maximum amount, and have a minimum amount, and two petcocks, how can not having a little oil drip out the top petcock be wrong? Seems pretty straightforward to me. What am i missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:45 am:

Right now, while recovering nicely from a broken hip, it is difficult for me to check my T's oil. Actually getting down there is not so bad, but getting back up is. I would consider a dipstick but a sight tube wouldn't be much help. I will probably leave the original two petcocks as is because I hope to heal up and be able to drop, roll, check, and arise soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 05:12 am:

On the TT, it's easy. No splash shields. But even on the Touring, I find that I can put my left knee on the right running board and lean forward so I can see under the front fender. From that position, I can easily open the petcocks with the tool. I don't have to crawl underneath and getting back up is much easier, since I didn't have to get so far down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:11 am:

Ok ... Ok ... so the consensus is that it's not a good idea. I get that you can't poke a wire through unless the tube is removed. In 37 years I've never had oil in my T so crappy I had to do that. But I'm not sure why the guy lost all his oil and ruined the engine when his tube melted. You only open the petcocks when you check the level. So, the tube would never get that hot with no hot oil running though it ... and the oil can't come out with the petcocks closed.

I just never liked the fudgy way we assume the oil is inbetween the two openings with opening the top and seeing nothing ... and opening the bottom and seeing oil come out.

I wonder when the dip stick was invented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:08 am:

I'm so crippled up I have trouble just getting in and out of my car, and I use a dipstick, and really like it. It is intuitive, and gives one a direct, and I think, correct, reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:15 am:

I keep some oil on hand and if I open the top petcock and see no oil, I will put some in 'til I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:47 am:

While the oil pan is off, I'm surprised none of the craftsman here hasn't welded a bung on the side to install a sight glass set-up some place out of the way. Seems to me that it would work. Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:04 am:

If you don't see oil cooling out of the top petcock .... and add oil until you do ... then it's my understanding that it's too much oil. Yes, with the flexible tube system you still have to kneel down and open the petcocks (with the long handled tool). Checking the oil is something you always do before driving, when the oil has had ample time to settle.

I like the idea of a dip stick ... and had an Akuret reproduction on my old T. Worked great, but I was a little concerned about the steel tube flexing with the frame while driving and failure of the fitting. That would be catastrophic while driving.

There is another type of dip stick that is offered by the jobbers that looks safe but I hate the look of the actual modern handle. I'll my tube system a trial and if it doesn't work as I planned I'll buy one of those other dip stick kits and make a vintage looking handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Mark

The Akuret dip stick was 1920, and you can get reproductions today too. Likely there were other dip stick products for the Ford.

That dip stick did prevent the Ford owner from doing 'the Bends' :-)

Interesting that even today, we use a dip stick to check the oil under the hood, even with our modern warning lights on the dash!

But in the heyday of the Model T, inventors and entrepreneurs were fast at making things to keep the T oil in check! Look that these!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Or for the best of all, dash lamp and oil level gage all in one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Here's mine. I prefer to leave the top end open instead of routing it to the upper petcock. I only open the lower petcock when I want to check the level, otherwise it is closed to prevent leaking if the tubing gets torn off somehow (unlikely).

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:14 am:

That looks like another good variant .... I might put a plug in the upper end to keep out the dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:19 am:

A little foam rubber would work fine it needs to vent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Both of you Marks, something is terribly WRONG with your Model Ts - that oil ain't black !!! : - 0

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration