Kidde fire extinguishers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Kidde fire extinguishers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

I carry one in my old cars.
Looks like a recall. I have 3 that are affected.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic- handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and#.Wfr3FggcNkQ

Greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Dang, I bet everyone I know with a boat has at least one if not most that are affected. In fact everyone I know has a boat here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

I have them in all my cars, new and old alike. Fire can also occur in the absence of an old car. After an old car outing when mine was forgotten once, I was saved by a passerby in a modern car that had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:03 am:

Best extinguisher is one with a Metal head and a Hose!!

We've always called those cheapie red plastic ones "Shi++y Kidies" for good reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 06:01 am:

I found all 3 of the ones in my antique vehicles are on the recall list. Ugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Thank you for posting this recall. I checked and have three large red units I purchased in 2011 in my kitchen, basement garage and shop. All three are on the recalled list so I have sent the online request for replacement. You have potentially saved me and my family for disaster. God Bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Thanks for the heads up! I checked all of mine today and none of mine are affected (they are all older than the recall range, which might be an issue in and of itself). While I had each one out, I turned it upside down and shook it until I could feel the contents moving around inside the container.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:20 am:

One of my jobs when I worked at the car dealership was to monthly go around and turnover and shake every fire extinguisher in the place, check the gauge and note it on its card. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Greg

Thanks again,

Just submitted 7 units to be replaced under the recall.

My neighbor heard it too, and he wonders how they will pay for 37 million recall parts!

I hope to get 7 new ones too!

Thank you for your submission. Your product is affected and as a result Kidde will be sending you a replacement unit. It should arrive within 15-20 business days. Please retain your existing fire extinguisher unit until your replacement has been received. Upon receipt of your new fire extinguisher you will find instructions on what to do with your affected fire extinguisher.

Please call 855-271-0773 if you have any questions and reference the following ID: C^85*34#1
(not the real ref # of course:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Checked my garage (old - 1985) and house (new 2017) extinguishers. Both on the list. Filled out the form on the Kiddie site and expect replacements in 15 to 20 working days. Thanks for letting us know. I'm sure sometime responding to this recall will prevent some injury or death from occurring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Thanks Greg---Getting four, and passing info on to my car club this evening. When I called, they ask me how I heard of the re-call, and I told them about this post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Interesting how some folks will try and save a couple of bucks with an inferior product. Yes I know they are replacing for free but isn't their something to be learned here.

We complain about our vendors selling cheap parts but when it comes to something you will use in an emergency to try and save something we highly value I don't want to be using the cheapest thing I could find. There's a time and reason for spending a couple of extra dollars for quality.

This recall doesn't even consider the ones where the chemical discharged by accident like in the trunk of a car during a super high heat day. When that happens you'll be blind while you try to find the side of the road.

At least take this time to check the gauge and the pin and seal to make sure your extinguisher is ready in case of an emergency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 04:52 am:

Shucks mine AIN'T covered....and it is in the red zone. 10 years under my Jeep seat ain't warranteed? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Well I got curious and checked the 1 I bought for my new shop in 2010.
I could not find the model number.I called the phone number on the sticker and got transferred to another number and the nice lady helped me find it and mine is on the recall. So I am getting a new 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Well yesterday a fedex truck came in the yard,left my fire thingy on the porch. There is a paper in the box that tells what to do with the old 1.You put it back in the box and stick the new mailing label over the old 1 and call fed ex to schedule a pickup. I would rather take a dose of caster oil than deal with that #&#($ robot. Finally got a human,and she claimed she couldn't hear me half the time,but I got a pickup scheduled for tomorrow. So from 11-14 till 12-5 is how long it took it to get here.

The new 1 is a much better looking outfit with ALL metal on the top and handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Mack, Greg and All Others,

I too got my 3 replacement fire extinguishers on 12/5 after registering with Kidde on 11/5. The old extinguishers were picked up yesterday without incident.

Thank you Greg for letting us know about the recall. I prepared a one page document with the recall details and sent it to the editors of both club magazines for their consideration to inform our club members.

I hope they see the value in passing along the information.

Have a great day,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Registered 2 extinguishers for replacement but only received one (so far). For those of you getting multiples, are they all shipping together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Lew,

All three of my replacements were in separate boxes with separate labels with separate instructions and return labels.

They all arrived on the same day and were picked up at the same time.

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Friday, December 08, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Thanks for the info. Hope my second one is on it's way. It is to replace one that is dated 1985 and has had no pressure on the gauge for quite a few years. We are getting some early winter storms that are affecting travel. Hope that is all that is holding things up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration