Spoke finishing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spoke finishing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Just getting ready to order spokes. I want to apply a light stain to the hickory and a polyurethane sealer. Any recommendations/suggestions for the finish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:38 am:

David,

I have used the following product:
Sikkens Brand Cetol Door & Window Translucent Satin Wood Finish - Light Oak 006
High Performance for Exterior Wood in a 32 FL OZ can the UPC code # 7 92240 62955 3

www.sikkens.us 1-866-SIKKENS
Akzo Nobel Paints LLC
Strongsville, OH 44136

Best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Here's what I used on mine:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Appliance epoxy enamel makes the finish God and Henry intended. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Looks real nice Mark. I'll find the products you share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:34 am:

David, I used a light stain on mine also (Pecan) and used spar urethane in two light coats. I used satin varnish and paint for the metal parts as I was trying to keep the "used" look that my T has. The stain and spar urethane were both Minwax. The paint for the metal was Rustoleum.

I did not disassemble these wheels, they are tight and original. It took me a long time to strip them down. You have the advantage of assembling new spokes which should make things go faster in the finishing of them.

Also, per Larry Smith in a 2014 search I did, he states that 1925/26 (I myself would imagine also 1927 too?), that 21" wheels could be had in painted OR natural spokes only for the 21" wheels.

There also have been photos of NOS wheels that have not been painted--if I recall they were 21" also.

So if you have 21" wheels, either finish would be correct as your profile states you have a '25 RPU. Of course, the finish is truly up to you in the end.

Here is one of mine I refinished this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Here are the wheels with spokes finished with the products I showed above (yes, all of the spokes are straight grain hickory):

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I too have used the Minwax Spar Varnish clear Urethane and I am very happy with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin klein on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Zar oil based urethane varnish is probably the best on the market bar none. My Dad and I used it on a Depot Hack restored in 1970 and it still intact and beautiful today. I would recommend this product as a primary choice, having used Minwax, Varithane, Olympic, and others with so-so wear and longevity compared to the Zar. Used all of these variants on an East facing front door that gets heavy sun exposure and had to retreat/refinish that door every 2years with the other exterior grade products. Zar may be a little tougher to find and is definitely more expensive but once and done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Just a thought for you guys going "au naturel" - why not put a matching faux wood-grain finish on hubs and felloes ? it's easy enough to do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration