Vega Steering Box Brace for a Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Vega Steering Box Brace for a Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:56 am:

It has been reported on here before that worm gear steering boxes tend to wobble when bolted to a Model T frame in speedsters. And so it was with my Vega Steering Box (made by Flaming River) and obtained from Speedway Motors. Try as I might, I could not find a clear-cut picture of how to do this for a Vega Box. This is partly because there is such a variety of steering boxes used for this purpose.
So I had to get creative. Here are some pictures of what I did for those of you who want to go this route building a speedster. Maybe they will be helpful.

That brace is made from 1/8" hot rolled steel bar stock. I was going to use stainless steel but thought better of it because it is brittle and might tend to break at the bend points. It was really not all that difficult, but I did need to use a 2" pan bolt as opposed to the normal 11/2" bolts.

I hope this is helpful to some of you. It required a bit of thought and work on my part, but it turned out well. The Vega Box does not wobble at all now. I suppose a similar bracket would work for some of the other steering boxes out there(?). I will leave that for you to think about.

Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

I'm planning to put Model A steering in my gow. This is a good-looking solution to the issue. Well done!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration