Spark plug collecting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Spark plug collecting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

I don't really collect them but when they appear at Swap Meets for a dollar or two they do tend to accumulate. I know we have discussed them several times but others may have some we haven't seen. Here are some of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

I would like to have a set of these

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YREBpNjuGGc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

It's fun to see all of the variations, even within the same brand and number ! I was fascinated by, and fell in love with those green Splitdorf plugs from the first time I saw one (Rich will remember the derelict '20 Buick in Bill Bowersox's farm yard).

When I got my latest T last fall, I thought about seeing if I could come up with a set for it, I'm glad to learn that they don't work very well !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Rich. I remember the 3 spark plug display on the counter at Oden motor in the mid 60's. That may be where my compulsion came from. For several years if you Googled Slpitdorf this is the first image that came up.

Courtesy of: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/261521.html?1327768993

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Thats some collection for a guy that doesn't collect them Rich! I see those radioactive firestones in there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

4 of those pink Polonium plugs were in my Model A when I bough it in 1962. I used them for several years with no ill effects.... ill effects.... ill effects.......

They still appear in various sizes at Swap Meets today.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Thanks for starting this Rich, I now there are lot of Model T guys who collect plugs, let's see some photos of your favorites. Here is a start with some pics of a few favorites of mine. Enjoyed the video of the Rentz plugs.

Quite a large quantity of them was discovered in an old warehouse many years ago in Atlanta. Story was the factory burned down thus ending production of them. For many years they were advertised for sale in Hemmings, and they were cheap. Now they bring quite a bit on ebay. It is indeed rare to find one with the extra piece attached. It is actually a shorting bar so you could short the plug out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Wow! those are great. I haven't seen those.
Here are some I like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

I'm not a plug collector, but as Rich says,when they're cheap you're bound to pick up a few. Here are some of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

I don't know how well these work, but they sure are pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 08:31 am:

That's another cool one I haven't seen.

These with the protective cover are interesting. I thought about making similar covers to hide my Autolites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Wow! I'd run a set of Golden Giants even if they didn't work ! Just sit and admire 'em !!

I've never seen protective covers for insulators. Rich, what would you use for the "tube" ? I like that idea, 'cause the "look" of new Autolites on ancient machinery grates on my delicate "purist" aesthetic sensibilities. ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:10 am:

Thanks for taking the time to post these, they are all awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Rich B. The "tube" was that red Bakelite. I suppose some sort of plastic would work but would probably have to be painted. It would have to resist some heat. I made brass tops for my Autolites and then saw you could buy them.

(sorry for the poor photo.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:09 am:

A few more oddities from my collection. Double ended plugs are neat. Remove the cap (or clip) and reverse the plug. You can clean the dirty end and the slight gap introduced with the clip will help burn off anything else. One of these plugs has a mica window in the top of the cap so you can watch it fire. There is also a photo of a pair of plugs in one box - Brown Separable Loc Bar. The insulators are held in with the little wrench-like attachment. A simple half turn on them will enable removal of the core so you can either clean it quickly or prime the engine. In both cases, two plugs for one money! There are also examples of plugs with windows in them so you can see the spark. The two with handles on them, Mayo and Brown are examples of plugs supplied with tire pump kits that included a pumping mechanism that you could insert in place of the plug center core. You could run the engine and pump up the tire. Imaging all that explosive gas/air mixture being pumped into your tires!
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:52 am:

My dad had an adaptor he carried in his box of tools forever when I was a kid that screwed into sparkplug hole and pumped the tire up. He never had a compressor till after us kids were gone from home. Used it many times. The only trouble that it was rather hot when removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Richard, love the collection! But I don't think you bought all of them - some of them were sparkin' and firin' when you weren't looking! And now you have more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Robert, that may be true. I certainly don't remember buying that many.
I have heard of those adapters Dallas. Never tried one.
Terry, it's nice to see a those nice plugs you have. I'm glad you encouraged this thread.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

It's so nice to see so many guys just plugging along in this hobby. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

It's so nice to see so many guys just plugging along in this hobby. :-) Perhaps you'll be able to spark some interest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

I'm afraid plug collecting may be terminal, Perry. Being a live wire you know how revolting that would be.

Always nice to hear from you.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Richard, my wife says I collect to much stuff so I am going to show her what you are not collecting. Then when she sees my 15 or so spark plugs that she thinks I am collecting she will now understand that it is not a collection and give me the green light on collecting more. Thank you Richard. Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Three of anything is a collection. Less than that is just a pair, or a single item. When you have a collection it must be properly managed. That involves research, networking with "curators" of other like collections, growth and expansion, proper storage and display, and a continual quest for the more rare and significant items. One must also collect related material so the story is complete. I have other "rules" that I try to follow as well. Dean, for your wife's info, it is also an investment.
Happy collecting, Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Dean, that reminds me of when I saw a photo a guy had at a stationary engine meet. It was an entire wall, maybe 15' wide and 10' tall covered with magnetos. I asked him if I could get a copy to show my wife so she wouldn't think I was crazy. I only have a few dozen.
He didn't have a copy and I suppose it wouldn't have helped any.
Joy knows if it makes me happy to have this stuff around it is worthwhile.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Time to add a few interesting items. First pic is of a coil plug. It has a built in coil with contact points on top under the removable brass cap. Provide an electrical source, ground it, and it will buzz all day long. Popular for use in early stationary engines and in situations where a damp environment might affect an ignition system.
Next pics show a variety of plugs made for specific vehicles with car names on them. Of interest are those that seem to be printed upside down - Peerless, De Dion Bouton, etc. These vehicles used one cylinder engines in the early 1900s and when opening the hood from the front of the vehicle, the name would clearly be visible on the plug sicking out from the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Thanks for taking the time to share these. There was a guy with his collection of plugs on display at the Gilmore Classic in may this year. It was a nice addition to the car show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:26 am:

All I can say is WOW! Great collections, thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157645390421884
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157638653764616

posted these links before but seemed a good fit for this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Richard, Thanks for starting this thread. Im glad to know that Im not the only one who does not collect spark plugs. I thought about collecting them at one time, but I just do not have the time. Collecting them would involve proper display, going to spark plug collecting meets (yes they do exist) I would need to join the spark plug collecting clubs, subscribe to all the spark plug magazines, send countless e-mails to other collectors, Sell my excess plugs online, so I could buy more plugs I do not have, and join a spark plug forum so I can visit with other like minded folks. I already have those problems collecting Model Ts. I just can not afford to start a collection of spark plugs. So here are a few pics of the things I did not collect. They just arrived at my place with other things :-) :-)

Harley Davidson plugs

I really like the boxes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

What wonderful stuff. How can we not pick it up when we see it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

I have a set of 4 red head spark plugs, used, no boxes. All in great shape. Can anyone tell me anything about them? Maybe a value?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Red Head was quite a popular and good selling national brand in the 1920s. They advertised heavily and were promoted in major auto accessory catalogs. They were sold by Emil Grossman Company and were an interesting plug. They were one of the first to produce a wider range of lengths of plug, rather than just the three standard styles, 1/2" 7/8" and 18mm motorcycle thread. They are neat with the illustration of a red haired young boy on them. The packaging for them was equally well illustrated. They are a fairly common plug among collectors but are always sought out, especially the various priming type plugs they produced. I'll try to get a few photos posted later of some of the Red Head plugs in my collection. Post pictures of yours if you can- what thread style? If in really good condition with original finish (some were nickle plated, some were actually painted and others blued), value on them could be around $25-35 each to a collector. Unless someone was going to actually use them in a car they would not be worth much more together as a set of four-collectors are after one, and don't collect "sets" of them.
Photos later this evening.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:52 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/341414.html?1360631620

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Thanks for the info and photos. The 4 I have are like the ones in the bottom photo with the brass screw on top. Looks as if there is some type of slip over connector would attach there. They were in a car when I bought it and thought them to be neat.
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:03 am:

Donnie B, Is that what you call NOT collecting spark plugs? There are quite a few thing I have specifically avoided collecting for most of my life. I have never had enough money or time to collect a lot of things I would have liked to. Partially because there were so many things I wanted to collect including cameras, books, WWI memorabilia, radios, phonographs, records (I have more than 2000 78s), and early electric conveniences (including a Waring blender with a repairman's date of '29 inside), and lots of things to accompany my antique cars for displays including era picnic sets, folding chairs, tables, and lunch coolers.
Not counting the spark plug sets I have restored for use in my cars, I might have a couple dozen odd plugs squirreled away, plus a few NOS Edisons in a display cabinet along with a couple cameras and the original box for an electric iron (circa 1925).
I do love looking at the pictures all of you collectors and non-collectors show here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 09:20 am:

LOL, great post, Donnie Brown! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

I believe spark plugs are the most collected non-collected item tat we've got in the workshop. Seems like everyone has a few in a drawer somewhere. Here are a few more photos of some of mine. I love the early French brass plugs and have some in their original wooden/cardboard tubes. Of course there is all the related stuff as well-display cabinets, testers, countertop displays, etc.etc. Naturally I also have some signs, pins, buttons and other plug advertising material. It just keeps growing!
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I keep forgetting to post pics of more Red Head plugs. Here is my salesman's display box as found in an old garage many years ago. When I first began collecting i'd travel backroads and stop at old garages and auto parts stores. There was a lot of neat stuff out there then. Note some of the plugs were nickel plated and others painted black. The packing nut was painted red. The plug in the wooden tube is quite early. Have not seen many in their original wooden tubes with paper label still intact. Note the packing nut for the insulator is painted red. Let's see some more plugs, displays, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:09 am:

That is amazing. What a treat.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Wow! Some very nice plugs shown here!
I oft-times feel as tho I've nothing to add but I don't know if one of these plugs have been posted.
I saw a couple that are real close, but (perhaps) no cigar. :-)
I would swear that the insulator pieces are separate and stacked together.
It doesn't come apart but meant for either a 13/16 or a 7/8 wrench. :-)

plug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Is that insulation Mica?
These miniature plugs are kind of cute. Apparently for model applications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I don't know what mica behaves like but this stuff is scratchable with a stainless dental pick. :-) Darn right I tried it.
Those mini plugs are the cat's meow! A 1925 weed-whip? No.
I know they built model sized Diesel engines way back when (30's?) but.....
Just looked for a bit and as far back as 22 for model engines requiring a spark plug. Very cool plugs Rich. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Richard,
I have one of the little RC glow plugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Matt, does that plug look just likes its larger cousin? If so, I find it strange they called them glow plugs.
Very cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 24, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

I thought that Constantine might chime in here. He is an avid Spark Plug collector and quite an authority on them. Perhaps he is travelling. Here is a discussion of his on MOSLER SUPERIOR plugs: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/721913.html?1486401999

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Here is a cute little Champion X pencil clip that is probably over 100 years old. It is the earlier type with the straight sided insulator, rather than the later ribbed type with the brass top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

That is a cool pencil clip. I'll bet the plug companies had all kinds of gimmicks/giveaways.

Here are some more plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Some of the guys like to use the AC Spark Plug Ford Special, so I will show this sign. It is dated June, 1930. Get your set of plugs cleaned and adjusted for only 20 cents.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration