Looking for information on this Stevens piston gauge tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for information on this Stevens piston gauge tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

I am looking for information on this, anyone know anything about it?
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

My Model T era Stevens catalog only shows the normal type rod and piston gauge. The flat face being perpendicular to the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 09:38 am:

this must be for only checking rods I guess, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Hey Herman - what the heck does this thing do ?????????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:42 am:

This tool could check for a twist in the rod or if the babbit was cut parallel to the wrist pin. Place the bottom of the rod on the shaft and only the end of the wrist pin in the top of the rod. The rest of the wrist pin will be on the flat surface of the tool and alignment can be checked. If the wrist pin does not rest flat on the tool, the rod is either twisted or the babbit was not poured properly. Just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Don about got it all there.

With Piston mounted, the edge on the same side as the shaft was used to check bend.

The machine came like what you have, along with a 1.250 reamer.

This was the first rod aligner, by Stevens, around the early 20's. I think they built 3 more different kinds after this first one.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

Thank you and that is what she shaft measures, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Here's my Stevens rod alignment fixture - sounds as though it might be one of the later style according to Herm. I also have the "sea-lion" indicator for checking bend & twist - my flywheel holder is currently attached but I do have mandrels for T & A rods.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration