Hood shelf: What nuts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hood shelf: What nuts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

The title says it: hex or square? 7/6"or 1/2" wrench size? This is on the 1923 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Steve
The general rule of thumb is carriage bolts get square nuts.
The rule applies.
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Is this for your '15? Larry Smith shows original bolt with nut for '13 '14 here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/234313.html

Also front and rear lenghts are discussed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Rich, read again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Steve, another rule of thumb which can roughly be applied, [like the thumb I mangled with a hatchet when I was a kid] is; If a square nut is called for on a T, it is usually the larger size available.

Just from my observations over the years.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

OK. I'm Sorry. This is from a supposedly untouched Tudor. '24 or '25. It measures 1/2 across flats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

I looked at a shelf from the 18 that had been removed, the hardware put back on in one hole with the block, the wire clip and a little piece of busted tin.
The same 1/2" across the flats nut as Rich shows. :-)
I wondered about that little piece of tin for a year. I bet it's part of the engine splash pan. :-)
Learning thread for me! Thank you! The replacement hardware from 30 years ago isn't quite up to snuff...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Thanks Duey. The piece of engine splash pan shown makes me believe this nut hasn't been unscrewed since it was assembled in the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

The 24-25 bolt in the picture doesn't have the cotter pin hole mentioned in the link. I wonder when that went away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Steve: This is a good point. I try to know this stuff, but you got me on this one. For a '15 the nut is probably still 7/16 across, but that is only a guess. They probably stopped putting the cotter pin hole in them because of the labor involved to assemble them. Most likely, the slotted head on the carriage bolt was gone by then too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:20 am:

I would assume the '23s are using a 1/2" across the flats square nut. The '25s definitely do. Randall Anderson is selling them now because they are so hard to find. I've been collecting them for years, because I've been aware of the scarcity of them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration