Noisy new muffler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Noisy new muffler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

I just bought a new muffler from Lang's and I swear it is louder than than the one I took off, that I had backfired the seams open on. When I look inside, it looks like there is a space at the end of the intake tube and the same when I look into the exit opening. Is there a way to check if this was assembled incorrectly or is there any way to quiet it down. This is one with the nut welded and the seams welded. No easy way to take it apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Model T mufflers are just three tubes held together by the end caps. The inner ones have large holes at one end of each tube. These were made to "muffle" the sound not be real quiet. :-) Look at the diagram in the catalog of the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Doug:

Check with Lang's tomorrow morning for your answer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

You don't suppose they welded it together like the catalog shows the individual tubes with all the holes on one end?
Oops?
Ya, call Lang's. :-)

Can you grind the weld off of the nut and get it apart?
The muffler on my 18 is brand new (but 30 years old) and is so terribly quiet, I took a tube out so I could hear it at speed.
This question has kind of been asked before about loudness of a new muffler... Hmmm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

New mufflers are sometimes louder due to the lack of accumulated mouse nests...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Duey

Oops. The Lang's catalog shows the replacement shells with holes at the rear...but that isn't how its assembled.

The small inner shell holes end goes to the rear, the middle shell holes go to the front.

I have a welded muffler on the '27 and it sounds good, the welds are spot welds around the front and end head caps, would be a bit of trouble to open it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Dan, Thank you and you're right. That's not how they're assembled. :-)
Yet, things can happen occasionally in production welding/assembly...
That diagram is what I was thinking about when I was babbling. :-) Bummer about the welds.
No mouse nests in my muffler Adam. :-)
Sorry about the thread drift Douglas. I'll step aside.
I do hope you get it sorted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:01 am:

If you know anything about T's, they stopped using the inner shell around 1920. After that the exhaust pipe itself was used as the inner shell. The new mufflers are replacements only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Thanks Larry. The one I blew up and re-assembled years back didn't have the inner or middle shell at all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration