How many disks in very early clutches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How many disks in very early clutches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

The normal T clutch has 13 large disks and 12 small ones.
I have pulled my 09 transmission apart and I find 13 large, 13 small and one thick disk.
How many should there be when the motors were originally assembled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

That's right for early clutch packs, 13x13 + the thick one, very important that it go's in first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Great.
Mine had a large in first, then the thick one and then alternate large and small, at least as far I could see. Iím sure abut the large was first as it was trapped into the Brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Someone in the past may have installed the newer style brake drum that did not require the thick disk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Tony, then I could be wrong, that combination sounds even better, the problem was if a small thin one went in first, that could slip in-between the clutch drum and brake drum, jamming up and there fore losing a neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Thinking about it, there should be a large disk at the rear end where the spring ring pushes on the clutch plates. If there is a small one in that location, the ring will become part of the clutch and wear. So there has to be a large one at the rear ended of the pack. The same is true at the front end of the pack, so there has to be one more large plate than small plates.
Now I have 14 small and 13 large so something seems wrong :-(.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:11 am:

Is the think one used when the brake drum doesnt have brass thrust surface

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:13 am:

The thick disk is about 2 disks thick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 01:56 am:

The ones I have are 3 disks thick. The thick one was used on the early drums with the hat type bushing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration