OT Drum headlights with Smith lenses

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Drum headlights with Smith lenses
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:29 am:

I was given these drum headlights to sell at the upcoming Bendigo National Swap Meet. It would help if I knew which vehicle they belong to. They are in excellent original order and would make ideal lights for a speedster.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 09:27 am:

The mountings look exactly my 26 Buick but the drum itself is different. So maybe late 20's early 30's GM (Buick / Chevrolet etc)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Could be a re-pop. Here are the after market drum headlight I restored. I welded a horizontal washer on the lower bracket of the drum for mounting. Your's has a vertical hole. The second pictures shows the difference between T lamps and the drum style. I modified the sockets and have high and low beams. The last picture is as finished.

Drum

head LIGHTS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schiebe - Plymouth, MN on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

I restored a set of Smith drum headlights for my Speedster. Very pleased with the outcome and the look. Had the rims brass plated and used stems from junk Model T headlights welded to a bracket to hold the drum headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:32 am:

I had a couple Smith Lenses many years ago. I was told that somebody (Overland or Maxwell maybe?) used them as original equipment. But they fit and looked good in the T speedster I had at that time. Both Overland and Maxwell I think did use a simple drum headlamp at some time in the early '20s.
Don't know if that helps any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:03 am:

Hey! I've got a brass set of those, Guide lenses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:08 am:

And....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:12 am:

For size next to brake backing plates, I figured they came off a truck. I may use them on a speedster I'm building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Gary,

Hard to tell from your photo, but I believe I have the exact same lights on my speedster. I've been told they are from a Chevrolet, maybe 1925 - 1927 if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Gary, The '27 Chevy had a bullet shape but they do look like 25 or 26.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration