Model T's and Mother Nature.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T's and Mother Nature.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

While I was looking for hood shelf bolt clues, I noticed some fun things going on out back.

Nickel on brass resits time better than other things. I mentioned the wasps a few years ago. They are still there though no longer a problem.

Mother Nature has a different approach to making old cars look beautiful than most of the rest of us. I'm never sure who is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Like!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Them little critters in the side light have pointed tails and can sure liven up your day. They'll teach you moves you didn't know you had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Sheesh. Some of your stuff is cooler than some of my good stuff! :-)
Really neat pics Rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Rich, how about some good pics of that 16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

I assembled this 20 years ago and drove it some. It wasn't very mechanically sound. I used it's engine when I built the coupe. New rings and bands made it run well. The remains are waiting for an upgrade as I gather more correct parts. It is photogenic. Mother nature is having her way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 06, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

I should mention that is was fun to display these two at car shows side by side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 06:57 am:

Rich, looks like a pretty solid car to restore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

In the 12 years I picked up parts to restore my Black 1915 I found many better parts as I went along. The Rusty One has some pretty bad left over stuff on it. The turtle deck had been trampled flat by local cows. I had to make the top, front piece out of a discarded splash apron. I made a new deck lid also. The Idaho climate is dry and it took some doing to get the lid to rust to match. The inside shows bare steel after the 20 years. The body wood was redone in pine. The top was sewn from colonial grain material. The seat was new vinyl. Having lived out side this is a good measure of how materials hold up.
I enjoyed the years of trying to restore cars to like new condition. At this point I have saved parts that others disposed of as not usable or restorable. To me it makes sense to have some fun with them. While I am often urged to preserve my rusty cars with clear coats, oils and other concoctions I have found little decay in parts kept up and off of the ground.

(Message edited by rich eagle on November 07, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

You guys out west are lucky in that aspect. Here in Indiana in 20 years there would be a pile of red dirt left. I guess thats why its called the rust belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Lindberg on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

I can appreciate what both you and Mother nature have done. Thanks for sharing pictures! The "rat rodder's" are making it so the rust is more valuable than the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Richard Eagle - Your posts are always interesting Rich, and this one is no exception. It reminds me of something,.....maybe not of much interest to others, but interesting to me,......

On a fantastic trip to England several years ago, my son and I met Neil Tuckett at his shop in N. Marston, England. For many who might not know, Neil Tuckett is pretty much,...."Mr. Model "T" in England. I met up with Neil at the Chickasha Swap Meet for a second time, a year or two later. Neil said something very interesting to me at that time:

He said that what he was mainly doing at the swap meet was waiting until it was all over with, at which time, he would purchase (very reasonably I would think) everything that he could that the various vendors could not sell (especially rusty sheet metal parts) and would rather not haul back home. What Neil said to me at that time really stuck in my mind. He said that the wet climate and such in England is such that English Model T guys would fight over those rusty "T" parts that we in the U.S.A. would throw away! The reason being he said, was basically ,...... "because your rusty stuff is much, much better than our rusty stuff!"

Anyway,....just something your post here Rich reminded me of,...... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Thanks Harold. Interesting. I found myself cleaning up after the good parts were sold for widows of former T guys. Also stuff not worth taking when people moved away. Some fellows from the coast have bought fenders and body parts from here. I do appreciate our slower rust rate.

It's funny what memories these posts revive. I hadn't paid much attention lately to this Roadster until Dan K. asked about it. Maybe it will move up a notch on my "to do" list.

Always fun chatting with you.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

I don't know what it is, but most of the time when I go on a tour with my '25 pickup, it rains. It makes the cardboard panels inside the car warp!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Larry - I know what a "stickler" you are for originality, but a "thought" flashed thru' my feeble mind when reading your post. I couldn't help but think that maybe a coat of shellac, or some other type of "non-gloss" varnish or something to seal those cardboard parts might make sense,....??? But then, my next "thought" was that with my luck, just applying the shellac or whatever, would probably cause the cardboard parts to warp! Again,..... just sort of "thinking out loud",..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Larry its ok. We have to be a little warped to drive them anyway. Mine doesnt warp and I dont have top on yet. Come to think of it I dont have door panels.
DRIVE SAFE AND OFTEN!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Will the "new" stuff ever become beautiful as decaying Model Ts ? Not to my eye, but then you never know . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

That headlight looks like someone shot it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 10:02 am:

that hulk has more bullet holes than the Bonnie & Clyde car !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration