Manifold Gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Manifold Gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

I found that my relatively new exhaust manifold has a gap between the two middle ports, as noted in the photos. Would this be cause to discard and purchase another new one. I planed on installing Copper rings, as noted in my post below.

George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

You may be able to make it fit using the rings. I just installed a manifold where the rearmost port was the only one off, but I figured it wouldn't line up with rings so I used the 3 in 1 gasket with a "ring" protruding only to one side and put them in the block recesses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Doesn't look too bad to me, I'll bet you can muscle it in. Be sure to use the stock rings and glands to support the manifold so that it doesn't sag.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3063-64.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Mark, do you think attached rings would work.

George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Yes, but I doubt you'll need the copper sealant, the rings should work fine on their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Pretty tough to "muscle" cast iron into place !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

I would give it a try. But, if it gives you any trouble, return the manifold. I would guess that the traditional copper rings & glands would be more forgiving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

What I did with a sagging manifold was to support my favourite two ports on steel rings that I inserted into a set of those three-in-one fibre manifold gaskets. I made sure the intake was aligned and sealed well while the exhaust just had to be good enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Interesting!! Those one piece copper manifold rings shown in George's post are made in Australia. What's with the made in USA on the parts bag?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

The bag is made in the USA. :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Don't ever use 3 in one gaskets! I'm pretty sure that is what has caused many manifolds to sag in the first place. That manifold can be straightened, but it takes a rose bud and the weight of a long box end wrench to do it. NO FORCE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Larry, I made the decision to use the 3-in-1 gaskets based on my own warped manifold and the notion posted elsewhere around here that it's pointless to try and straighten them. I still used steel rings to hold up as much as I could but with one of the ports being a lost cause as far as alignment went it just used the gasket to seal. It was a temporary solution but one I could have been comfortable with for a long time.

I've since replaced that manifold and switched to the rings and copper crush washers to seal all ports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Mr. Schmidt said the manifold was "relatively new". That leads me to question; relatively used, or purchased a while back and sitting on shelf. I just purchased a new one from Snyder's and the cast iron finish on it looks a lot more "virgin" than his picture indicates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:34 am:

The original style steel rings and copper gaskets are best. If a manifold is warped so they won't fit, here's what I do:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG82.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:38 am:

Agreed Terry - "relatively new" - appears used ?

I've installed quite a few repros for customers and they all aligned perfect. I seriously doubt that "droop" can be strong-armed into position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I believe the only new stock exhaust manifolds available are style used through 1924. If you need the 25-26 style you have to find a good used one or straighten one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

What was changed for 25-26?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

They all fit the same - shape at the #4 port around the clamp area a bit different on the later ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Top is 1925-1926; bottom is 1919-1924. As Steve T. says, they fit the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Thanks for posting the photo - saved me running back out to the shop to do it after supper !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Well today I learned something. Thanks Steve(s)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Steve, How about a photo of a pre '19?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration