Nut size for wheel hub bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Nut size for wheel hub bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

What is the typical size?
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

11/16 wrench size, while the thread is 3/8"-16 tpi on my 1920s demountable wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Thank you for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

You can't get them in a hardware store that I'm aware of. Langs would be your best bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Even if I could get them at the local hardware store I wouldn't. Some of the fasteners sold there now are dangerously shoddy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Original nuts are both larger across the flats and thinner through the threads than usual hardware offerings. This is why I always grind off peened over bolts when removing nuts so they can be saved.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

The original nuts were 3/8 nc heavy hex semi finished jam nuts. That means that one side of the nut has a smooth surface, and is beveled at the edges. The other side of the nut has been cut off with a parting tool and left "as is" These nuts are not available from any commercial source that I have found. I make mine from standard heavy hex nuts. The nuts sold by the suppliers are a fully finished heavy hex jam nut that is chamfered on both sides and is thinner than the original nuts. It is my belief that the sharp edges of semi finished nuts help dig in to the surface of the hub and help keep the nuts from coming loose.

Ron Dupree

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration