Is this band lining material?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this band lining material?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

I found this roll of material in an old-timer's garage as I was helping his daughter clear it out.
It measures 0.95" wide.

Band Material

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

I think not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

If it were dyed black, it might be a good match to the later cars door limiter strap material. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Michael,

That looks like pipe insulation, something they call "quick wrap" around here. BUT there are a lot of products that have a similar appearance.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Asbestos??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Thanks for the info. Initially I thought it might be manifold or exhaust wrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 02:00 am:

It sure looks a lot like the exhaust wrap I've used in the past, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 07:46 am:

It's not asbestos per US EPA laws. Michael and Don, yes it is also used as exhaust pipe insulation. Around here, they usually coat it with a green mixture that mostly waterproofs, gives structure, and mostly fixes it in place but allows for fairly easy removal when needed.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Example of asbestos tape:

Years ago an elderly neighbor gave me this seven inch roll of 2.5" asbestos tape used for boiler and furnace door gaskets and wrapping pipes, etc. (He also used to have sheets of asbestos - got a piece of that from him one time for a small project.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

It also looks a lot like brake lining material. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

That needs to be properly disposed of quickly. I'm holding my breath just looking at the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:18 am:

If the roll of asbestos is kept on a shelf, there's no risk at all, if it's worked on there's a moderate increased risk as long as you're not smoking. It's for smokers the asbestos is a real killer. No need to dispose of such an interesting item out of scare, better to stop smoking :-)

ghy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, Spakenburg NL on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:42 am:

That is NO asbestos, it's hemp strapping, used by upholsterers in (under) seat cushions with metal springs in them.
I should know, my wife has a upholstery shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:54 am:

The roll in Michael Saggeses first post isn't asbestos, but the roll in Erik Johnsons post at November 08, 2017 - 09:26 am may well be.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration