1920s era key chain / keeper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1920s era key chain / keeper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Curious what the typical model T owner in the 1920s would have used for their ignition, trunk and house key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

I would expect that keys were left in the ignition, the trunk and house left unlocked.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

Ha .. well, my turtle deck wonít stay unlocked. So ... had to be a chain for it and the ignition. Sure, we never locked our doors living in the country. But a city driver would lock their apartment or house door. Have seen several different Ford watch fobs but none for keys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

A coworker told me that his parents bought a new 1955 Chevrolet and kept it in the family until the late 70s. He said the key was always in the ignition switch unless someone took it out to open the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I don't have anything attached to my ignition key on my 1925. I regard those pot metal cylinders as being rather fragile, and don't want any extra weight placed on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Yes .. but when the car was new ... Iím sure the owner used something to hold the key. And like I said, if anyone lived in a city ... they didnít leave keys in the ignition of their cars. Think of the various locking devices sold to secure the model T. I once had a carburetor lock accessory. Actually ... that would be a good thread .. showing all the various locking devices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I do not know what our 1922 coupe had for a key ring when she was new, but I think that it has had this ring with the ignition key, trunk key, and miniature license plate for the last 75 years. The little Wisconsin license plate from 1942, #39086, matches the number on the tax stamp stuck on the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Here is the key fob that came with a Perry auto lock I bought. It is leather that snaps your keys inside except the one you are using. The keys are held in by a bolt and tube nut with decorative ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:45 am:

A lot of dealers gave away key fobs which advertised their dealership. They were generally marked with the Ford script or "Lincoln Ford Fordson." Some had a serial number which corresponded to dealership maintenance records for the car. The majority that I have seen (and collected) were oval shaped and the same size - which would lead me to believe they were made by the same company. They come up on Ebay often and usually go for very little. Here are a few that I have hanging on my status board in the garage:

Tacked to the frame of this (along with dealer dash plaques on the opposite side):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Also found one of those fobs - exact shape and size - in celluloid (unfortunately do not have a picture, but will take and post one later). Safe for those fragile pot metal cylinders.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration