Mounting 21 inch tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mounting 21 inch tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

21 inch tires have a paint mark designating either the heavy side or the light side of the tire in reference to overlapping Plies. Well question is which is it the heavy or the light side and how is the tire mounted in reference to the valve stem? A few friends have different ideas just putting it out there for a more definitive answer thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

I believe that mark is supposed to line up with the valve stem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Thanks Larry, that's what I believed also....

Input from others appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 08:21 am:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS737US737&ei=rQQDWq6rAoLJmwHzjozgDg &q=what+does+the+red+dot+on+a+tire+mean&oq=paint+mark+on+tires&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0 i71k1l4.0.0.0.4279.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.CDMrTCjZ 7rk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Larry has it right, so not much more input is needed, but in a little more depth, the tires were marked at the supplying factory with a balancing mark to indicate the light side of the tire. It was probably a simple/quick bubble balance test to determine the light point around the circumference. When the tires were mounted, the valve stem hardware was aligned with the balancing marks. This provided a crude balancing of the tire/wheel assembly.

Put the heavy point of the tube (valve stem) at the lightest point around the tire to replicate the factory balancing procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Thanks Larry, Mark and Ward

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:38 am:

So is the valve stem aligned directly with the red dot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

My friend owns a tire repair shop and he was telling me about Mr Teague, our high school principal, bringing his Model A there. He said it took all day to do the tires. Could you not use a tire machine? The new machines clamp to the rim and cars have rims over 21" now. I know I mount clinchers and 14" and 16" tires by hand and it's no big deal. Breaking the 14" and 16" tires down is the only hard part. Looks like you could put one bead on then insert the tube, then use the machine for the other. He said flaps gave him the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 01:50 am:

Model A wire wheels are drop center, like the 1926-27 Model T wire wheel. Both the 21 " and 19" Model A wheel uses a gutter strip to cover the welded spokes. Like the 1926-27 Model T wire wheel, flaps are not to be used, as per Ford.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration