Missing screw

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Missing screw
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Anyone know what length and thread size the small screw that locks the steering cover on is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:27 am:

It's a 6-32 roundhead slotted screw, long enough to securely stop the steering cover from turning - maybe 3/8" - 1/2" long thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Usually you have to turn the head down slightly to match the original size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:55 am:

That tiny screw has always been questioned! What is it from 1920's:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Thanks Dan, I overestimated the length..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Uh, discrepancy in the old articles. One says 9/32" long, which is a negligible 1/32" over a quarter inch, the other says 9/16" which is a sixteenth longer than half. I'm pretty sure the "nine thirty-seconds" is an error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Rich

Good catch, the reply to question is incorrect on "9-16" should be 9/32"

Here's an original.

April 1st 1919 Parts Book:
3505 Steering gear cover screw No. 6, 32 x 9/32"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Dan, thanks for clearing that up ! I never gave much thought to the importance of that little screw !! Still, the report of the feller who wrecked his T because the cover came all the way off, he wasn't paying much attention - I'm pretty sure there would be grease on your knees before the cover came entirely off, and you'd think the steering would start to feel strange ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Ace hardware has this size screw. Almost identical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

This is a great post, one of the reasons I read this forum every day! Tomorrow I will go find one of those screws so I dont forget it on my restoration. Thanks guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:37 am:

For my '25, I bought a stainless screw, and re-contoured the head to look like an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Stainless fasteners are great replacements for any that were nickel plated originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Larry, Rich, and I think alike.
My favorite stainless steel application was oval head woodscrews to attach the nickel plated common sense fasteners. The stainless steel screws look great and won't twist in two like the nickel plated brass screws will.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Very important screw! I had an uncle who had the steering wheel come off a Model T while going around a corner on the way to Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino Mts. I don't know what year it happened. He broke his nose and by the time he got to a doctor, he was told by the doctor that he would have to break it again to straighten it so my uncle's nose went to one side the rest of his life. Fortunately that was the only injury.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

That's a pretty cool story Norm, maybe we should start a thread about Model T injury stories

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

This screw was not fitted to all of the late steering gear covers. I can confirm they are round head 6-32 UNC, having worked with the original factory drawing for this part. . A half inch screw works fine, as the screw goes down into a half hole in the housing. When fitting a new cover, you will likely need to redrill the lower hole, so it can go all the way down. This would be a Dremel moto tool sort of job, as there is not a good way to hold a twist drill to do it.

I never fitted the screw on mine at all. Seems to stay put a year later, but I check it once in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Some people claim that I have a screw loose.

I think it is a compliment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 04:53 am:

Fred, I've always looked at it as if I just had one screw loose, I was doing pretty danged good!!!. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:45 am:

That screw hole was not drilled in a NOS cover, but was left to the purchaser. Originally from the factory they were at 12 O'clock, but on my '25 I had to relocate the screw to 7 O'clock to get it tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:32 am:

I can`t find that screw or any evidence of one on my `25 Touring----Am I missing something? Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Here is a picture of two, yep, two screws missing..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Paul, here is picture of mine on my 1923 Touring.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration