To answer the question of Why, let us move on from the "original" barn find to the "Original fully restored" garage queen.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: To answer the question of Why, let us move on from the "original" barn find to the "Original fully restored" garage queen.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Well there was the discussion about the "Barn Find." It appears that this discussion can be the beginning of a discussion about the "Garage Queens." "Garage queens are the standard by which all others are judged. We as a community truly do need these perfect examples against which we can base our restorations and repairs. Without these pristine specimens, we would be slaves to ancient manuals and rotting books."

I remember an auto-legend of a car at Pebble Beach that was brought over from England. The following year it was in the show being restored. It won a prize. The following year it was restored again entered in the show and surprise it won a prize. There was an article about the restoration of this car...it was so carefully restored that the historic fabric of the car's originality was not destroyed during the restoration. Amazing an authentic vehicle.

(https://petrolicious.com/articles/in-defense-of-the-garage-queen)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Can't agree more. However the vast majority of T's are driver cars anywhere from jalopy to nice levels of restoration in every body style. I have never been against anyone digging in the archives to find specifics. It's great but never my cup of tea. I think it gets a little grey when they try to push their desire for correctness onto others and their cars.

Thank you for the article !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Years ago at Hershey there was a guy with a '09 T that was beyond perfect! He had 3 guys polishing the brass and had cloth covers on the white wheels. In those days you did not have to drive on to the show field so he trailered the car to the field and had his 3 guys roll it into place where they removed the cloth wheel covers and placed a doily (I kid you not) under each wheel. I spent a bit of time talking to the owner about the car and asked him how he managed to keep the engine compartment so clean with an open valve engine and he confided that there were no guts in the engine. He said he wasn't interested in driving the car, just winning his AACA Senior. I guess that epitomizes garage queen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

My T's may not quite qualify for "Garage Queen" status but frankly are pretty close. But I'm not afraid to take ANY of 'em out for a long days ride. I just keep 'em in the condition to which they've been accustomed to after back in from a run. Thank God for the lift!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I restored a 1925 roadster pick up to way way beyond common sense. Perfect paint, every correct nut and bolt just right. Cost more that twice what I cold ever sell it for. Then, I have been driving it all summer. I have wiped it off a few times, and vacuumed out the dirt from the interior once. I want it to look like a used car, say, about a year old. The idea of the car show guys using Q tips to dust under the fenders has me shaking my head. Correct details are one thing, anal clean is another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James MacNaughton on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 01:26 am:

True story! I played bass for Anal Clean in the 80s! :D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:40 am:

James,

I lived in Moscow, Idaho in 1978 - 1979.

My brother went to law school there.

I lived with him in a big old house on E street - worked for the State of Idaho on a survey crew & at a nursing home during the Winter & at a video game place in the mall.

Briefly dated a girl named Lauren Ohlgren ? who lived with her sister in Orofino - should have followed her to Ketchum when she moved ......

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration