Body Wood Cross Pieces - How Fastened?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Body Wood Cross Pieces - How Fastened?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Right now, several of the wood cross pieces on my 1925 touring body are just slipped into slots in the vertical pieces (red arrows in pic), no glue or fasteners.

Were they originally fastened in some manner? I wouldn't think that glue would hold up under all of the flexing that these body would have experienced over time.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:26 am:

The fake door cross brace was toe nailed in from the top of the brace no glue. It is there as a backing to the side covering. (on the one I am working on anyway)
The seat side rail, too dark and wet to pull the tarp off right now to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:39 am:

Thanks, Mark, I will do the same on mine.

Since the pieces are there to support the inner trim panels, I will pull the pieces flush to the inside of the uprights before I fasten them. I will also pre-drill for the nails to keep them from splitting the wood.

I will pull the seat trim piece up as high as it will go in the slots before I toenail it in so that there will be some wood exposed above the seat pan for the upholstery to be tacked onto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I just went out and looked at the seat support, right now without pulling it apart, the only thing I could see is the screws at each end of the seat frame "might" go thru the tenon at each end. The mortise on mine is more squared on the ends so the cross brace may rest on the bottom. (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 11:22 am:

The deed is done, the joints are securely toenailed, thanks Mark!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration