Gas tank relocation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas tank relocation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Just curious, but can you mount an oval or round gas tank under the seat of a 1919-1923 coupe and free up the trunk space previously consumed by the original square tank?? Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Bruce, I don't see why you couldn't. The one thing I wonder about is the smell of gasoline in an enclosed car. I for one would like to hear from those T owners who have tudor or fordor sedans. Do you get the gasoline smell in your cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

I have 25 coupe and it smells slightly after I fill it up because of the vent hole, bit it's no big deal...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

1919 Centerdoor - I'm sitting on the tank - no smell (from the tank anyway) but I do use a gasket on my gas gauge !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

Gas gauge? Please explain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

I have two T's. A Runabout Pickup and an Open Express. Gas tank in cowl on pickup and under seat on open express. Since they are open cars I don't get much of a gasoline smell unless I spill when filling the tank. How do you like the centerdoor? I like the looks but wonder about entering and exiting. I am not the smallest of men.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Yes, I get the smell of gasoline in the Tudor (tank under driver's seat) and Coupe (tank in trunk). Mostly when tank is full. Even the gas cap with the splash guard lets some by. They are not too objectionable to drive but the smell is detectable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Bruce: I believe the earliest 22 coupes had tanks under the seat. There is a basket case close to me that appears to have one in place and has never been "messed" with. Not sure about the earlier ones. Seems like I have read about this placement, but cannot remember where I saw it. My 22 with tank in back smells even though I put a duck bill in the vent hole. Everything in the trunk smells also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Lenny, I don't speak for Steve T but he's most likely referring to a mechanical combination gas cap/gauge. We had one on our 26. About 8 or 9 years ago a forum poster was making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Mine is an "era" mechanical gauge similar to what the fellow was reproducing a while back - float on a piece of spiral shaped brass with a needle & glass lens.

And RE - I'm not a "big fella" so not too bad - my wife has a bit more of a time so she likes to ride "Princess" in the back seat sometimes !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

I use a hard cardboard cover that came on the closed cars, Lang's catalog page #50 item #2902-cov1 and cov2, It helps keep the smell out.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Tim,

Bruce McCalley refers to the placement under the seat on p. 236 of his Book. I bought one of those high dollar caps from the vendors. It seems to help some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Thank you Gary. I have owned T's since early 90's and still learn something new every time I read this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Bruce, You could go way out and relocate the oval tank under the pare tyre carrier at the back. This location was used by both Duncan and Fraser and Holdens when building their special bodies for T's.
It requires a vacuum tank on the firewall to draw the fuel up.
No smell, no disturbing passengers to refill.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

My 1921 Canadian coupe gas tank is under the seat only smell gas if you spill. Ross from Canada

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

The rear mounted fuel tank was a feature of the Pinto and many others like my 1929 Plymouth, and a 1935 Chevrolet we have on display at the museum I volunteer at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

The rear mounted fuel tank was a feature of the Pinto and many others like my 1929 Plymouth, and a 1935 Chevrolet we have on display at the museum I volunteer at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

My 21 coupe had the tank in the trunk as a point of reference. Never got it far enough along to know if you could smell the fuel inside as it was sans top and doors but ran. LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

No gas smell from the tank under the drivers seat in my '22 Centerdoor but I always run with all the windows down here in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Depends on how much room is under the seat after you take out the seat pan and how tall the seat risers are. All frames would have the holes for the brackets but they may or may not line up with the seat opening. The lower seat cushion in mine was fairly thick in compared to open car, seems to me it would be a pain to remove it every time to fill with gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Thanks guys. I'm going on speculation here as I've only had a quick look at the car in question and was unable to remove the seat to check for clearances. It's a '21 or '22 coupe with very old (maybe original) paint but has fairly new really well done interior and apparently runs fine after 60 odd years in storage and an engine/trans refresh. It's got me really interested especially after seeing Dan Killecut's '25 coupe. I already have a very nice '25 coupe but this tough looking "barn find" is special.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration