1913 top door trim color

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 top door trim color
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

What color should the top door trim on a 13 touring be painted? The fenders etc are black, body is blue. Thanks Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

I did mine in Blue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Black is the color of these. My 13 roadster was rescued from under the original Ford dealer's house in west Georgia. Surface rust brown on tops and shiny black on undersides. No question on this in my mind. This body may have been the dealers demo car as Duncan began selling Fords in 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Robert..nice looking car! I see you're at the other end of the state...be neat if we could get our '13s together for some touring. Gotta admit I'm no expert here in that trim color, mine are dark blue, hopefully Larry Smith will chime in here, as he's probably the foremost expert on '13s from all his years of research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

My body is Blue including the doors. Fenders and splash apron are Black. This car is a AACA 2008 winner. Which means it is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Phillip, so your top trim rails on your doors are blue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Phillip. I shared this information because it is something that I know first hand. This forum is for sharing information. This is a small detail. As I said earlier there is no question in my mind this this detail is correct. AACA awards are an honor but details such as this can be missed or unknown to the judges . My 13 won both AACA !st Junior and Senior awards in the mid 80s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:20 am:

I'll have to go with Warren. If I was to start restoring my '13 roadster again, I'd paint it black. I found no evidence of blue anywhere on that car, but I had already bought a gallon of dark blue a couple of years before, so it's now dark blue. I'm also going to reuse the original hood, which has the original black paint on the inside. So the answer here is paint the door tops body color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:30 am:

And I was also going to mention the “original ‘13’s” out there that have no traces of blue paint.

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of ‘13’s out there that are the wrong color blue, or never were blue to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Adam is correct. There are many 13s that were black from the factory... mostly late 13s. I own a June car that only has 21,000 miles on it and there is still quite a bit of original paint on the car. Not one bit of it is blue. it was definitely a black car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:02 am:

OP asks this:
"What color should the top door trim on a 13 touring be painted? The fenders etc are black, body is blue. Thanks Bob"

Warren posts this:
"Black is the color of these"

Larry posts this:
"So the answer here is paint the door tops body color"

To me, two '13 experts reply (no disrespect to other posters), but aren't their comments contradictory? I'm learning here too....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Yep. No definite answer here. Sounds to me as if Warren has the best evidence for black mouldings.

FWIW, the mouldings on my '13 roadster are black, the car was reputed to have placed high in AACA competition after it was turned out as a fresh restoration back in '03 or '04.

Now there seems to be a question whether its blue paint is correct. It's probably too light a shade, but it's mighty pretty. I think the motor number places it in late May of '13. Is that early enough for blue ? It's entirely academic - I'll never repainted this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:40 am:

My blue Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Thanks for the advice. We have decided on black simply because we think we will like the look since there seems to be no definitive answer. We are not building a show car just trying to keep it as original as possible. The car has been in the family since 1945.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Nice looking roadster Rich B. Our T's were all black era but the 13 has always been my favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Thank you Gary, I feel really lucky to have been able to acquire this car, a "lucky 13" !

There's a practical side to painting the moldings black - being in a wear-area, it's much easier to touch up any wear or scratches with black than to have to match the body color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

I will need to look again to confirm this but my original unrestored 1913 touring has black paint from the bottom of the top body line at the top of the doors up which would make the trim black also.

Hard to see in this picture but in person it shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Bob, that is a grand looking T. Please show us more of it if you can ! The relatively untouched cars are not only wonderful to see, but they also provide so many answers for those of us who have had to assemble to restore incomplete cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

I posted a bunch of pictures here last year when I got this car.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/641256.html?1465650132

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Ah ! A couple of months before I discovered this forum. Thanks for the link, Bob, a real treat to see those pictures !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Bruno on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

I'm a new owner of a 13 touring. Got it last month. I'm pretty sure it was once all black. It was painted over in 1964 red and black fenders. Right now i plan on leaving it as is. Its cleaning up pretty good and i have the block out to get rebuilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Bruno on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

1913 touring1913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Bruno on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration