You guys remember me mentioning ........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: You guys remember me mentioning ........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

You guys remember me mentioning that I try to remind my older neighbors to put oil in there lawn tractors, Well I guess I missed one> He called me to look at his his lawn tractor. He said it made a funny noise and then stopped.I guess oil is over rated anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Probably didnt knock or make any noise before the funny noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

I was asked to work on a Honda riding mower some years ago......."had a funny noise". I started it and heard nothing unusual, until the rod crashed through the side of the crankcase, striking my leg on its way to the lawn. Fortunately, the owner acknowledged that it was pretty old...time for a new one...and didn't hold me responsible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Looks like it needs some J B weld and duct tape. {;0)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

All summer I have been repairing riders, push mowers, hedge trimmers, string trimmers, tillers, weed blowers grass catchers, modern cars, vacuum cleaners, carpet cleaners, pressure washers, tractors, airless sprayers and more-------sick of it want to get back to Ts------so I am going to use dementia as an excuse to stop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Yep, my own machine did that a couple months back.Not as bad but cost me about 250 in parts.
Best I can tell,wrong oil. I didn't read the fine print about 10x30,Synthetic only in small letters. Straight 30 she gets now. I was told over head valve lawnmower engines needed the thinner oil to circulate thru to the valves and such. Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Funky. I was looking and reading and for a moment, I could smell the oil.
It's gone now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:40 am:

Those things take oil? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:25 am:

I'm the fix it guy on my street. Most all the elderly people on my street are trying to survive on there fixed incomes so I don't mind doing it. It makes me feel good when I see them enjoying life because I was able to take one less stress off there mind. Of course I know my limits, If the task is to big I will pass on the project. Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge when the temperature gets to near 100 degrees with 100% humidity and I'm out side installing plywood on there windows for a hurricane. I look at it this way, There will came a day when I will be the one needing help so hopefully the guy upstairs will send someone to me. I was able to find my neighbor a good used lawn mower very cheap so he is back on track again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:58 am:

I too am the "fix it guy" on my block as well. I continually preach maintenance to deaf ears around here. Now I always make a point of sitting my neighbors down face to face and telling them: change the oil, put in the correct stuff, clean the air filter, change the oil filter (if it has one), and drain the fuel out of the system before storing them, and check the oil level periodically when being used". If they don't know how to do these things I am willing to show them. For those that follow this advice and do on the rare occasion experience problems, I am a willing helper. For those that don't, I recommend taking it back to the dealer or repair shop as I am "too busy trying to get stuff done on the Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Will and Kevin
I let myself fall into the trap repairing things others cant seem to do out of concern for them. After years of doing that what was learned is some are fair and some just use you.
I now know the ones who are fair as I never charged for labor but consumables like oil and electric were out of my pocket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Will, storm shutters were also my task in our neighborhood in Naples. Most neighbors were in their 80's & 90's. All it cost was my time and in return listened to lots of cool stories. No regrets for ever helping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Needs to be checked for bend & twist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

SHIM IT!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Well seeing that photo and thinking what happened to me in 1953, yea I know that is ancient times, but I was in the Army at Fr Leonard Wood Missouri, going thru Basic training. I had gone home and was coming back from my girl friends to my Grandma's house. The oi9l pressure went from about 40 to zero and back to 40 and then there was a Big Bang and that was the end of the road for me. A fellow towed me me to my Grandma's and I went to Ft Wood and then over's. Boy I sure wish I had the little 34 Fourdoor Sedan today, it would be great job to restore it, but someone got it ar it went to the scrapper. This all was in 1953!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration