New tool project finished - 3rd cam bearing reamer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New tool project finished - 3rd cam bearing reamer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Nice winter project kept me busy off and on for awhile. 1045 precision shafting in 12L14 false bearings, replaceable shell reamer and long enough handles to easily ream bushing in block.

Bearings have very shallow OD taper and can accommodate modest wear in the block and still stay centralized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Nice Scott, you must have a better lathe then mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Maybe not, Paul

I have a Logan 10" and a pair of South Bend 9" lathes. All WWII vintage and earlier.

I would absolutely love to have something in the 13-16" range, though.

Very slow going with leather belt driven equipment, but can be done if you persevere. Sourcing the right material is crucial, too. 12L14 turns like butter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Had mine turned out by my machinist mentor - has removable reamer to change out the size for camshaft wear.

Nice job - handy tool !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Steve

Yours is nice and beefy. I expect mine will work so long as I take it easy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration