Choke control for depot hack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Choke control for depot hack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

I stumbled across an image of this choke control that looks like it could be a good fit for the depot hack I'm putting together. Unfortunately, the only place I've found one is from Sullivan's Garage. Since they didn't respond to my email or phone call, I assume they're no longer in business. Where else can I get one and where can I find specifications for it and a photo of the other end?

Thanks,

Tom

Choke control

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Lang's, Chaffin's & Snyder's should carry that item - pretty common repro part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Bob's catalogue has three versions of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:23 am:

Tom, the item you show looks more like a mixture control designed to be screwed. A choke control is pulled. Until the introduction of the starter and generator in 1919, the choke was pulled at the front of the car, a simple looped wire.
Starter equipped cars had a choke pull rod which worked through a bell crank on the firewall and a two arm lever at the carburetor.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Tom

You can get creative with the early brass carb adjuster, the brass knob is just pinned to the rod, so you can put it on any rod, and use that knob and fitting on the dash.

Then if using the Holley NH, put on the later '25-'27 parts of the needle with the u-joint for adj. and the slip sleeve with long rod for choke wire. Then you can pull on the brass knob for choke, and turn the same brass knob for carb adj. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Dan,

I think I'd like an arrangement similar to the one you have. Below should be a photo of the carburetor I have. What parts will I need to buy to complete the setup?

Also in the photo is the generator. Can anyone tell if it what a 1926 Model T would have had?

Thanks,

Tom

carburetor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Dan,
Sometime when you are under the hood again, could you show a close up of how you attached the choke rod to the slip sleeve?
That looks like a really clever arrangement!

Thanks,

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Tom, your carb looks like a standard Holley NH with the U-joint swivel. The right stuff for 1926. You need the rod that attaches to the swivel and goes up through the firewall. Maybe somebody will post a picture of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Rom, Here is a link to Lang's for that rod. https://www.modeltford.com/item/4129B.aspx It shows the slip sleeve below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Meant Tom not Rom, can't seem to edit posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Installed:

With acknowledgement to Hemmings.com, and its advertiser.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration