White Tire updates?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: White Tire updates?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Well, whats the outcome of the white tire investigations? Was it the tubes or something else? Anybody have continuing browning issues?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Just because I'm here and now, I'll jump in. Even though I don't have first-hand experience. I've been corresponding regularly with Tim Wrenn since Lang's replaced his browning tires, and it would seem at this point that it was indeed the tubes which were the problem, and so far, his white tires have remained white with the tubes Lang's prescribed, long past the length of time when his first set went south. Tim ?? Details ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Hey Y'all! Well, so far, I would say so good. They're definitely not as "pristine" as they were last April, but compared to a year ago, I'll take 'em!

When I get a chance, I'll post current pics of them. I have them off the car for the winter. I like to keep 'em in the basement where it's a bit warmer than out in the barn. These spokes/felloes are in perfect condition and I wanna keep 'em that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

I mess around with a couple '70 'Cudas..... On the Moparts website guys are complaining about their white letter tires (tubeless) turning brown on BF Goodrich TA tires. Seems like only certain sizes on those tires have the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Thereís got to be someone who installed white tires in the last few years and re-used their tubes that DIDNíT turn their last set of tires brown... Anyone???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I installed my NOS New Zealand Firestones with new metal-stemmed tubes. They didn't turn brown, but the country roads ate them up PDQ. But that's another story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

A problem with your toe in adjustment as I recall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Only on the first two front tires. I fixed the adjustment and replaced the front tires, but the old rubber just can't take country roads.

No misalignment here, just old rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I would think some 5o year old original wards riversides would wear well on those gravel roads. They are nearly indestructible compared to the softer rubber they use today. You will need to hit the gym for a few weeks before trying to mount them though:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:13 am:

I bought 4 white tires and the tubes that Ashley Lang recommended about the same time Tim bought his. They are still white with now browning other than the road dirt you would expect. I am confident that the infamous browning issue is a thing of the past.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 10:17 am:

My T has Firestone whitewalls. I have a problem with one of the whitewalls turning brown, but the other three are fine. Not to stir the pot, but I had a wobbling wheel, and when I removed it I found that there was no flap. I immediately installed flaps in all four, but the tubes were good and I didn't change them. At the time I didn't know about the browning issue, so I didn't take notice whether they were all the same brand of tube.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration