Bothwell Estate Auction

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bothwell Estate Auction
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Is anyone going?
This will be an auction of epic proportions.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/beautiful-bothwell-collection-goes-block-sa turday?utm_source=DailyDrive20171110&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-ce nter&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

If so, I love to see pictures and a report!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

I'd love to be there just to see the rich people play in addition to seeing the cars. Some of their pre-sale estimates are surprising to me. They have that 1911 Mitchell with an estimate of what I think would be half of what it should bring. There are some others that seem pretty low, too. The higher priced cars I have no idea. Never had that kind of money.

Wish I could have gone.

Lot 415
1911 MITCHELL MODEL R "FIRE CHIEF'S" TWO SEATER RUNABOUT
US$ 15,000 - 20,000
11,000 - 15,000
13,000 - 17,000
To be sold without reserve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Except for the seat, most of the body of the Mitchell Model R is missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Two of the T'S appear to be 1915s, but are labeled 1914 and 1912?
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24733/#/aa0=5&MR0_length=100&w0=list&aj0=lot_nu mber_asc&m0=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

When Ben Ostergren RIP took my family to see the collection in 1989, my 12 year old son got to pose in the Peugeot for a photo. The story then was Peugeot were after the car and had left a blank cheque for it.

My pick was a Springfield Rolls Royce touring car.
American 20's styling on a Rolls chassis, the best of both worlds.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Auction estimate for the Model F Ford is way low. A chance for someone to bag one at a reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

The estimated prices are just a ploy - BAIT - to get more people interested in bidding.

Start low and work the bidding up, up, up. If the auctioneer (or website) is good, he'll get almost double the estimate. Guess who gets to pay that bill? Someone who thought they would get the car for a song & a smile.

Don't buy the estimated prices.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

I was there a couple of times several years ago with our club.

I volunteered to drive in the Vets day parade in Long Beach or I would be going. It will be a pretty wild auction I would bet and really something to see some of the great Grand Prix cars sell.

I hope someone is there and can let us know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Touring car appears to be an early '15, Engine cast date 10-14 and gas headlamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

I'm going

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

There was a better restored Model F that sold for $50K inclusive of buyers premium a short while back if memory serves. May have been in England. My guess is the estimate is based on that sale. I think it was a Bonhams auction as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

There has to be some nice autos at the auction because it being held south of the Blvd. It is a really nice area of the Valley. I wish I could go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Lindley Bothwell was a instrumental figure in the founding of the MTFCA as well as a pre-World War II member of the HCCA. For many years, the MTFCA gave out an award named after his wife, Anne Bothwell at the annual meetings. On the walls of one of the buildings are many early Vintage Ford covers which were staged at his ranch. The most famous was the cover with his three Model T speedsters named The Scorpion, The Black Widow and The Spider. The Scorpion Fronty-powered speedster is one of the vehicles in the sale. It should be an interesting day tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, November 10, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

I went there today for a look see, lots of cool stuff. I'll be there tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Let us know about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Kim, would love to see pictures and know prices realized.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Auction results are on Bonham's web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Wow the Peugeot sold for 7 million....and a pair of 1914 calif license plates went for 1600...I also have a mint matching pair of 14 calif plates I will sell for that price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Im with you Ed my rushmore searchlight been for sale here and last two weeks on ebay for less then half think next week price will double
Some prices fare some over the top but no deals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:42 am:

Had a great time at the Bothwell auction, got to see some old friends and watched some things sell at high prices! I really want that pair of matched CA 1915 plates. I was thinking about 400 but others were thinking much higher. They sold for 2000. There were several lots of parts I was interested in, I did buy one. There was also a September 1912 engines I wanted to buy, it was missing the head and sold for 2500, but when you add in the 25% buyers premium and CA sales tax of almost 10% it puts it out of reason. There was a descent 1924 T coupe that sold for 11,550 and a 1905 model F Ford that sold for 40,700. I thought all the brass lights and horns went real high. Saw some real nice cars and a lot of history. It was well worth the $50 bidders fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 04:58 am:

KD

Thank you for the images & report.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:01 am:

So what if anything did Jay Leno buy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Someone got a darn good deal on the Model F. Would the new owner come forth? I own one as well and we could chat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:11 am:

Thanks, Kim, for being our Reporter at Large.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

Wow, an American Rolls-Royce (Springfield P-1) Pickup! I think I remember reading about it some decades ago. Those headlights have Bosh&Laumb (sp?) lenses, and the bodies are solid German Silver, no plating there (nor on the radiator or cowl band or cowl lights!). Brings back memories, I polished a set of those while recovering from Mono--couldn't do anything strenuous, so polish a while, rest a while, at least I kept busy (was starting to get cabin fever laying around all the time!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

I don't know if Jay Leno bought a car or not, maybe some others who were there will know. More pictures of the model F Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Kim, nice pictures. Thanks for taking the time. We don't often get to see Model F details. The one in the Vintage Ford way back when was delightful. The motor picture above is pretty fascinating.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Thanks Kim!! Wish I could have been there...

We should have more heads up for event such as this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Looks like they got good money, which I expected they would, but also there might have been a couple pretty good buys. Without being there to know condition and how authentic the car was, the "1912 Roadster" for $8800 including premiums was a great but with the wire wheels and etc. It looked like a 15 or 16 to me but has $3000 worth of wire wheels on it and a couple thousand dollars worth of Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:44 am:

There are more photos posted on the HCCSC website. That is the Horseless Carriage Club of Southern California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Stan, the 12 roadster was a 15 with a few later parts. So it wasn't the bargain is seems to be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

What about the '14 Touring that sold for just over 9,000?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Gene, I'm pretty sure that was a 15 or later also. I don't recall seeing a 14.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration