Need some advice on this one

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need some advice on this one
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

So, I'm swapping some parts from one aluminum hogshead to another, and I'm really having a hard time getting this clutch fork shaft out of the hogs head its a early one came off a 12. I took loose the bolts and safety wire that clamp around the shaft and found that there is a keyway that is made into the brackets that hold the clutch yolk on. After loosening everything and sliding off the brackets from the keyway I cannot get the bracket off the shaft, because there is not enough room on one side nor can I pull the shaft out on the other side because of the keyways are hitting the hole to which the shaft goes in. I looked to see if the keyways are removable but they seem to be part of the shaft one solid piece. I know I must be missing something any help would be appreciated. Thanks 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Mike, The keys are removable from the shaft. You must remove them to get the shaft out as well as the arms off. The keys are 1/8" x 3/8" radius.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Mike: David is right those are woodruff keys and look like this

they are removable but sometimes need some gentle persuasion! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Thanks David and G.R, I put a pair of vise grips on the middle of the key. then I taped the endow the vise grips with a flathead screwdriver and hammer and they came right out!. Thanks so much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Be very careful with any sort of hammering. The aluminum hogsheads are brittle and shatter easily. Even light hitting should be backed up with heavy metal to support the aluminum.
There is a specific type of wire cutter (the proper name escapes me, but was discussed some time back on this forum, and not entirely agreed upon), that can work well for removing Woodruff keys. The cutting edges are 90 degrees from the handles (unlike the more common cutters in which the cutting edges and handles are basically straight on). With these, you can reach straight in, the cutter bites the end of the key, and a little leverage pulls the key right out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Wayne's is the second recent post mentioning cutters with the blades at right angles to the handles, for which neither poster could recall the name. These we call end cutters. As nail pullers in carpentry or horse shoe removal, they are often referred to as pincers.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

End nips in U.S.A. Dave in Gellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Oblique wire cutters.......used the all the time in my telephone days to pull staples and such. The handles have a curve that allows you to use it as a fulcrum and pry things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Just purchased a pair at Sears.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration