Rear end greaze

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear end greaze
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

My friend has a TT with a worm gear rear end. What weight of greaze do you all recamend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

140w.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Best to use something like 75/140 or 80 in the wintertime if it freezes where you live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Try this, much fun discussion in other threads too. I just use the 600w but you can play the "or equal" game to find something on the shelf near you.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/277171.html?1332858652

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

The poster is asking about grease not oil, grease comes in numbers (weights) 00,0,1,1.5,2,3,4. I would recommend either 0,1, or 1.5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Lol, as he was asking about greaze which may be intentional or not. Not sure grease was intended to be in those rear ends, but I suppose the semi fluid grease could be an or equal given what he will do with the rear end. Hope all gets solved. TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

I grew up with my Daddy and Granddaddy calling it "Grease", but they were referring to the "Oil" that is in a differential. Also heard it called "Dope", but that means a couple of other things, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:52 am:

T Ford differentials left the factory with #2 grease, the differential housings were never designed to retain oil as there were no oil seals available or installed. All the felt and seal arrangements are aftermarket assemblies for oil, and they still leak. Some members will claim they never had a problem with differential oil and there are just as many that have had problems. I do feel that #2 is too heavy and prefer #0, 1, or 1.5. A good quality non-flowing grease will lubricate a Ford differential adequately and will not flow out the axle housings. Too heavy of grease will only cut a swath and not lubricate properly, however a good quality #0, 1 or 1.5 will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 01:23 am:

I do not recommend using gear oil/grease that contains sulfur which will attack the Bronze worm gear in TT differential housings. I am presently using John Deer Corn Head grease in my 2 cylinder REO transmission which has Bronze triple gears. Take a look at the U-tube about Corn Head Grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

I didn't know the tt rear came grease only and the felt was not there either. Most of the manuals show the felt from what I have. Having 3 of them laying around I just assumed the felt and 600wt was factory. Good to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

I must correct my comment regarding the TT differential, there are factory felts on the outside of the inner bearings, but not on a car diff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 12:42 am:

David, if I recall correctly, there are felts on the inside of the outer bearings also. They are a pain to remove and replace, at least they were for me. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration