Need demensions for 1915 Roadster top bows / sockets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need demensions for 1915 Roadster top bows / sockets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

I recently purchased new wooden top bows from Jon Anderson for my 1915 roadster. I am now ready to install the bows on my oval, metal sockets. Jon has indicated on the wooden bows where they should join the metal sockets. That will work just fine, as long as I can ascertain that my existing metal sockets are the correct length. My 1915 roadster came with top bows and sockets, but no installed top. The center and rear wooden bow are vintage, perhaps original. The front wooden bow is a poorly made homemade replacement, which may or may not be correct. When measured to the center of the pivot pin (or hole) my current combination of wooden bow + metal oval socket measure: front: 25 3/4; center: 32 1/2; and rear: 32 5/8. The metal sockets by themselves measure: front: 19 9/16; center: 23 7/8; and rear: 25 15/16. Page 155 of Murray Fahnestock's book has a drawing of a 1915 roadster top. It shows that the center bow + socket has an overall length of 32 7/8, which is within 3/8 inch of my center bow + socket, which is probably within the manufacturing tolerances of 1915. Murray's top diagram does not give a specific dimension for either the front or the rear bow + socket combination. I am hoping someone on the forum might have these dimensions.

I did a search of previous posts on this topic. I did come across a post where someone measured their 1917 roadster and gave the following dimensions for the metal oval sockets of: front: 17; center:21; and rear: 25 1/2. Since these dimensions all vary significantly from my sockets, I would like to get the best information possible before I start to install the wooden bows on my sockets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Wayne

The top shown in the article by Murray Fahnestock is from his feature in February 1922 Ford Owner magazine. So that top is likely with rectangular steel sockets, likely 1920 or 1922, but not 1915.

Below are dimensions given (Model T Times article) for a 1918 Roadster with oval shaped steel sockets. (15-18 are similar)

The front socket is 19 ", the middle 23 , and the rear 26 " in length.

The wood bows are 47 wide inside to inside, measured where wood meets metal.
The front bow sticks out of its socket about 7 , the middle bow approximately 7, and the rear bow about 8 .

Hope this helps..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

Thank you, that is the information I was looking for. My sockets are: front: 19 9/16; center 23 7/8; and rear: 25 15/16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

There is a good drawing about halfway down in this previous thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/21299.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration