Blow by around spark plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Blow by around spark plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

My model t is leaking between the threads in the #1 spark plug and the threads in the head(the plug is tight) - I'm getting some blow by. Anyone recommend a sealant for the threads that will take the heat.Or do I need to replace the head

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

I have used anti seize compound has worked for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

A common issue. If it is not severe, many people just ignore it. The downside to that, is that leaks go both ways. As long as the car is well cared for and used, it likely won't cause a serious problem. However, if the car winds up in marginal storage and left to sit? Water, even just condensation can collect around the bottom of the plug, and leak down into the cylinder. THAT can cause serious damage if left too long.
Some people use Teflon tape around the plug threads. Usually seems to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Lyndel, some here use Teflon tape, or even rap the plug in aluminum foil. I would try those first, your head is probably fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Thanks!...I didn't know what to try. I was worried about something falling down in the motor the next time I pull the plug out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:12 am:

Lyndel, I've used compressed air to blow the crud away from the spark plug "funnels" in the head on the T's and other engines and have also used a couple drinking straws stuffed together to blow crud out of there.
Oh yeah, leakage around the plugs? Personally, I also ignore it and let the leakage blow out the water that'll accumulate there and drive it around. :-)
Wayne's correct tho too. :-)
The 19 engine's cylinder 2 here rusted tight after enough years of rain/condensation and funnel leakage.
Relax and T on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Lyndel, same problem here and I took the advice of those wiser than me on the forum. I tried the aluminum foil trick and it did the job. I wrapped a single sheet of foil tightly against the plugs threads and carefully screwed the plug into the head making sure the foil stayed put and didn't creep up as I screwed it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:32 am:

1/2" pipe threads need to be tight - I'd try to tighten them first before resorting to some sealant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:43 am:

It's not something to ignore. Pipe threads should not be leaking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 11:09 am:

I use to have this problem. I don't know if this is fact but was told the modern Champion plugs (I was using Champion A25s) were a straight thread,not a pipe thread and that's why they leaked, and that the Motocraft F-11s were a pipe thread, I switched to them, no more leaks and the car ran better plus cured missing problems I had with the A25s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Champion A25 would not be straight thread, it's a cut thread vrs rolled threads thing. Cut thread has a sharp edge and rolled thread has a rounded edge. I may be off on this bit, I think it's the rolled thread that seals better.
I too use teflon tape, the white stuff seem to work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle , N.C. Triangle on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I also have this issue, now I know what to do ! Thanks y'all, John S-M

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration