Fixing Headlight Rims (rusted clips) vs Buying New Rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fixing Headlight Rims (rusted clips) vs Buying New Rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:08 am:

I have two headlight rims that look really nice on the outside and would definitely be usable for my 1923 Touring. However, the clips on the inside of the rims that secure the rim to the main headlight shell are rusted and damaged to the point they are not usable.

In the first picture below, you can see that the clips are completely gone at the 12 o’clock and 9 o’clock position. The other two look good and will work fine.

In the second picture, the clip is missing at the 3 o’clock position. The other three look good.

I do not see replacement clips for these headlight rims in the catalogs. Is it possible to replace these damaged/missing clips, or am I just better off buying two new rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Put an ad in the classified. You should be able to find some good used rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:31 am:

You can find used rims better than that on Ebay or on the classifieds. The Fordbarn has them from time to time also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I bought a set of reproduction rims that looked great but didn't fit worth a da-n. I then sent my originals out to be re-nickel plated. They look great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 11:18 am:

I have used ones, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I have one decent original
Steel rim if interested i figure pistage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Eric

Got a good used pair just north of you if wanted :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

While looking at the rims, also pay attention to the rivets that hold the clips on AND hold the rim onto the headlight bucket. After years of vibrating around on the bucket, the rivets get a groove in them, and also wear down, so they don't securely keep the rim locked in. Depending on your shop equipment and your talents, you can either replace the rivets, or build up the worn area, but be careful with the heat when you're doing that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

It all depends on what your standards are, on this car I hold the rings on with little sheet metal screws

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration