Rim advice please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rim advice please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:26 am:

I recently bought 4 demountable wheel/rim combinations.

One has the following rim latch that I have never seen before.

Is this just a kluge tack weld fix?

Or...if it is a latch of some sort can someone explain how it works before I go and mess it all up?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:45 am:

looks like that "Split" rim has been welded shut, which would make it hard to get the tire off in case of a puncture. I am not sure but the screw that holds it together may not unscrew and I think this may have been an aftermarket rim. If the tire is worth saving I would see If I could grind off the weld hopefully it is just a tac and didn't penetrate too far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Good point GR...I had not gotten really up close and personal with it.

Took a closer look...that glob is not a rust bump but indeed a tack weld.

That latch still intrigues me tho...looks like that rectangle piece had a small tab on its backside, that goes into a slot in the rim next to the screw...and something on the inside of the screw must grab it or clamp it????

Maybe somebody can advise?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Firestone M rim much modified

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Got a set of these they work great once i found right location for the rim spreader to aid in holding my latch right to
Flip the keeper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:12 am:

Thanks all, think I have it figured...

It's missing the keeper, and someone screwed the keeper screw down tight on the rim before they painted it?

I might just try and see if this one can be salvaged in some way. The tire on it has a split blister casing anyway which I will trash.

Thanks again forum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:35 am:

The clasps are not hard to make, nor are the flat bars which they cover.
firestone keeper

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration