OT the Auto-nomous Model T...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT the Auto-nomous Model T...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

So often on the forum an alarm goes out about some state or country or other in the process of out-lawing the Model T. So are we prepared to converted our cars to being autonomous or driver-less?

I believe the predicted date for all Ford Cars to be driverless is 2014.

A topic for the future, maybe? New York Times Magazine 12 November 2017 is devoted to the Automobile and future changes in driving habits. "Imagining a World of Autonomous Cars." With more autonomous cars on the road will there be conversion kits available? http://www.futuristspeaker.com/job-opportunities/128-things-that-will-disappear- in-the-driverless-car-era/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Uh, Ford is already three years (four model years) behind on a self-driver ?

Question - have the autonomous vehicle geniuses considered off-road conditions ? Single-lane dirt roads in National Forests, trails through the sagebrush etc., etc. ?

The future for Model T driving may well be a return to near-roadless tracks away off pavement - which is a good reason to help your neighbor keep his dune buggy safe from bureaucrats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Ah...that there government is way ahead of us for off road stuff.....
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/08/29/the-us-army-is-developing-au tonomous-armored-vehicles/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

It seems that all who write about and promote a future of self-driving "autonomous" vehicles miss is that the majority of drivers actually enjoy driving and the freedom it delivers.

As per Rich, there are numerous industries that cater to off-road and outdoor recreation enthusiasts. What about farmer or rancher needs? I have yet to see any consideration of this aspect of the equation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

I will be glad when my T can drive itself on tours and I can stay home and work on the others. There is not enough time to do both.

:?o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

I am very leery of driverless cars! They introduced a driverless shuttle in Las Vegas and it collided with a Semi! They blamed the crash on the semi, but from the picture, the shuttle hit the Semi.

I think there will be some interesting lawsuits in our future. Is the crash the fault of the driverless or the driven? Who is liable? The owner of the vehicle, or the manufacturer?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Norman, I'm with you. My past employment was in Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems. The driverless car is just the latest idea. My experience with computers is such that the driverless car will never be reliable enough to use. Between the operating system, the software and Mother Nature, there are too many things that can go wrong. Even a 1/10th percent failure rate on a highway with 250,000 vehicles per day is 2,500 failures. One of my supervisors referred to traffic accidents as "catastrophic system failures."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration