Model S postcard photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model S postcard photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Shepherd on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Hello all,

I lurk here form time to time. I don't own a model T but have an interest.

When going over a collection at the Filson Historical Society in Louisville Ky I came across this postcard photo of a model S and thought you might have an interest.

a shepherd
model s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

That is a neat card. Thanks
It's nice to hear from you.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Thanks Allen,
Welcome to the forum.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Cool, thanks for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Even back then the dog(s) were ready to go for a ride! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

And they always sit in the drivers seat!! Cute doggie, love the car too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Allen,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the Post Card of the Model S Roadster.

Ford was still trying to figure out how he would name cars back then. Even though the four cylinder cars of 1906-1908 shared the same basic chassis (wheels changed; bodies changed, and fenders changed -- and some of them shared fenders and/or bodies and some had a different oiler) he used a different letter for three of them:

The Model N Runabout had it's own letter and serial numbers started with #1.

The Model R Runabout had it's own letter and serial numbers started with #1.

The Model S Runabout had it's own letter and serial numbers started with #1.

And then in Mar 1908 (quite a few months after the Model S Runabout had already started shipping in Aug 1907) he introduced the Model S Roadster. And it also started with serial #1. But instead of giving it the letter "T" he called it the S-Roadster.

There were also a few very low production bodies - such as 28 or so S - Coupes which continued the S Runabout serial numbers and 1 or 2 S-Laundalets that apparently at least 1 used the S-Roadster engine serial numbers. (Ref Trent Boggess Early Ford Database and also page 482 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford" see Jul 20, 1909 entry.)

And when the Model T came out, Ford stopped using different letters for different body styles and he stopped starting over with serial number #1 for the different body styles. They were all called Model Ts and they all shared the same serial number listing. (Ok -- When Canada started assembling their own engines from USA parts in 1913 they started their own serial numbers that started with C1.)

Again thank you so much for sharing the post card. And I would encourage you to go to one of the local clubs that meets close to you and/or plan a trip to the Model T Ford Club Museum.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

From the 1908 Price List of Part is has:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Perhaps Dave Huson would have an interest in seeing this. He lives near Berthoud CO, where this card is postmarked from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Can anyone translate the message on the card ?? I get some of it, but it's almost gibberish - ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Rick B,.....yeah,....pretty hard to read. His handwriting is almost as bad as mine! I think the guy was writing to an old friend in Kentucky, telling him he liked some other car, but liked his Model S Ford Roadster better. Also said the he was glad he'd left Kentucky three years before, because he'd just "cleared" $2,000.00 "this year",...apparently in Colorado. Sounds like he's sort of "gloating" about how well he's done after relocating to Colorado. The other comment about Nellie, the dog, is a bit more readable,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 11:52 am:

......also, judging by the 1/13/09 postmark on the card, I'll bet the writer hasn't even seen (in Colorado) the new Ford (Model T) that just came on the market! Might just be that he was soon to become somewhat "disenchanted" with his Model S Roadster, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Hm. He just cleared $2,000, roughly $180,000 in 2017 purchasing power, and no income tax. I reckon if he' was disenchanted with his Model S when he sees a new T, he probably went right out and bought one !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration