Advise on tracking the original dealership by serial number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Advise on tracking the original dealership by serial number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lundberg on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I have a 1922 model T and wanted to find out the original dealership that it was sold at. My wife's grandfather was gifted this car new in 1923 as a graduation present from high school. it has never left the family, all original and running. We are now stewards of the car. looking for advise on many things to do with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Ken-
If you do a google search on where your grandfather lived at the time, you will probably find only one Ford Agency in the area. maybe search a couple of 1922, 1923 and see there the trail leads you...

I know the complete history of one of my cars. It is fun to know the history.

Good luck.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Oral history or if your lucky, the dealer that sold it installed a tag. There is no way to trace via serial number. The records of what cars were shipped to which dealer or distribution center never existed in the black era. The dealers them self would/might keep that record when the car was sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lundberg on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Thank you Keith, I am sure it came from the dealership that was in the same town in 1923. I was just looking for written documentation. It was the first car in the family. I was told there is a web site you can put in the numbers and it will tell you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lundberg on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Thank you Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Ken-
Benson Archives has record available for Model Ts s/n 1,119 to 70,920. That's it. All other records were destroyed in a fire.

Check with your local historian for information and newspaper articles.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle , N.C. Triangle on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

What a great idea...to bad it hits a dead end for most of us. I can only trace my car to the previous owner...he can't remember who he got it from...that accounts for about 5 out of 98 years...kind of a bummer for a history junkie like me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Model T's with a known history are a small minority. The minority is even smaller for those with a documented history. The serial number will tell you when the engine was made, nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Documenting the history of a vehicle can be done but in the end it is only the owner that has pride in knowing the history.

I research the history of the family's 1922 coupe. Mentioned it a few times on the forum. At one point talked about the car at an academic conference on the automobile.

It took time but seven years of research produced this documentation.

And what to I have in the end -- just bragging rights that the car has a pedigree. Nothing more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Ken,

I don't know if we have met but there are a few thing you need to know :-)

1. You are in a dangerous spot because Brentwood NH is just a few mines from Newfields NH and that is where I live with my 1919 Hack and 31 Model A Town Sedan.
If my hack finds that there is a younger sister nearby I will have to take away her privilege of roaming the streets and night and chain her in the garage.
The Model A will be jealous that there is another older sister nearby.

2. Please let me know if I can help. Like your 22, my 19 has history back to the beginning but with the gap of the dealership sold it.

3. There is an active Model T club in central NH that is a great resource for model T fun.
They Meet on the first Monday of each month in Hooksett.
I would be happy to have you go to a meeting with me.

4. We both live within a few hours drive of one of the best Model T part suppliers in the world.
They have great service and you can get almost any T part you will ever need from them

5. I know that there is something else I should say but I am old and tend to forget things. - but maybe coffee sometime or a visit to Newfields!

You can send me a private message by clicking on my name and following the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

I'm one of the lucky ones, I know the complete history of my 16 Ford coupelet. It's first owner who was a German immigrant turned cattleman. To it's present owner who typing this reply and the two others in between. I'm still researching his life as he has ties to a heinous crime at the turn of the century in rural Nebraska.

Last year I contacted the local history museum in the county he lived and the caretaker and amazingly he was well know during his life in the county.

As for my 11 touring I did send the serial number to the Benson research center and they sent me the production record and shipping record. Per the translation they state the car was sold to a dealer in Albion Michigan. I've been unable to decipher the state myself on the card as it is a copy and very hard to read. My grandfather purchased the car in Falls City Nebraska in December of 1953. I'm not convinced yet that car was sold to a dealer in Michigan because there is also a Albion Nebraska. More research is required.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration