Here is a Strange Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Here is a Strange Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

So, how do tall drivers see the stoplight when driving with the top up? I have yet to restore the top assembly on the Ď23 runabout. But driving it without a top I find the upper frame of the windshield seems to be in the way to see stoplights as Iím approaching them. Once stopped I have to look over the frame to see if the light changed. Once I have the top installed Iím guessing Iíll have to scoot down pretty low to look up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

This is what I use on Betsy, my 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup):

http://www.lightinsight.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

'24 and '25 closed cars are even worse with their visor. I can see the traffic light reflection in the paint on the hood most times.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Its very simple Mark you trade the 23 in to me and with a little bit of money on top if it I'll send you home with a 27 coupe which you won't have a problem seeing out of, you sit lower in 26-7. all kidding aside I would shorten up your seat bottom to sit lower since you don't have a shinny hood to act as a mirror

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Just wait until someone honks at you.
It only takes 10 seconds in NewEngland

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Mark,

Lang's sells a device called "Traffic Light Finder" at $4.95, part # A-TLF on page 267 of their 2017 catalog.

Best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Many years ago when windshields were more vertical there was a product that looked like a horizontal plastic prism on a suction cup that would stick to the inner windshield. The driver could look at the prism and see the color change. I have no idea what they were called! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Mark, Wish I had your problem. I am the shortest of my 7 brothers. The T must have been built for me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

I just duck down. But then I'm not very tall anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

The Maroon car on the right is a 23. The owner is very tall. He has extended the windshield posts about 4 inches on each side and raised the front of the top.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

There's no question we're getting taller.

When we toured Mount Vernon and looked at George Washington's furniture, I couldn't believe real people could fit in them. But I was assured they were period correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

We have an external visor on our 53 ch3vy and use a traffic light viewer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-FORD-HOT-ROD-Traffic-Light-Viewer-Magnetic-Base-N ew-Genuine-GUIDE/263138158949?hash=item3d4441a965:g:qAMAAOSwAuZX13-T&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

I am 6 feet tall, and the top of the windscreen frame on the '25 RPU is exactly at eye level. I am screwed top up or down. Thinking about reducing the height of the seat cushion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Occasionally you still see one of the old time traffic lights that hangs on cables over the center of the intersection. Now there's a real challenge.

We need to bring back these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Yeah Eric ... Iím 6í 1Ē and the paint on my Ď23 will never be shiny enough to see anything reflected off the surface. Iím on original seats right now so I donít think the seat is going to be any lower at this point. Iíll check out that reflective strip that sticks to the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

I drive the Freeway so I don't have to look for stop lights!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Clear plastic lens held on windshield by black suction cup. $4.95 at Lang's
Traffic Light Finder sold by Lang's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Fred, in the Boston area you never have 10 seconds after the light changes. Two seconds to get moving, max!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 10:01 am:

John - You are more correct than me!
If you aren't moving one second BEFORE the light turns green in Boston the guy behind you has dented your rear bumper.

The same thing happens if you stop less than 5 seconds after it turns red.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration