U-Joint operation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: U-Joint operation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I recently purchased a u-joint. At first, I could not rotate the female end. After cleaning and lubing, it would rotate up and down, but now, a day later, no longer rotates without a LOT of force.

The male end not only rotates freely, but slides sideways as shown in the 1st photo below with the 2 circles.

Even when I could get the female end to rotate, it would not slide sideways.

Is this a good or bad u-joint?

Tom

u-joint1

u-joint2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

It should articulate rather freely- I wouldn't chance it. There's so many others to chose from...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Get ahold of Dave Huson...he seems to always have nice one's. I've got one from him and it was almost like new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Tom, the upset marks you've circled in the second photo account for the "hitch" in the movement of the female end. If "slop" or wear seems reasonable in the male end, you could dis-assemble the unit, clean up the galling on that pin on the female end, re-rivet the joint, and use it with confidence. If the amount of wear on the male end seems excessive, then . . . get another. I can vouch for Dave Huson's "good, used parts".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 06:25 am:

I think you can free it up without disassembly by clamping it in the vice while "persuading" the female part to slide with a punch and a large hammer or some other large tools of your choice :-)

Not much wear as it seems, when freed up it should work fine for you many years - with proper lubrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:47 am:

They all have that side-to-side movement. Not to worry. As others have indicated, the nick on the side is what's binding it up. If you get that freed up, I'd say you've got a good u-joint. The male end looks to have extremely little wear as there are no worn/shiny spots where the original machining marks are worn away. You don't show the female end, but I'd guess it looks as good. My personal preference, I would not disassemble it to repair the nick. I'd put it in a vise and work the joint until it loosens up, adding oil all the while to flush out any grit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Yours appears to have been damaged. I don't think that would hurt the operation. I've had a lot of NOS U joints that are a little stiff in places, and I just oil them up and use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I agree with Jerry and Larry. I wouldn't even bother working it in a vice. That little disturbance will be gone in 1 mile or less of operation and you'll never feel it or know it was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stephens - Arnold, CA on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:48 am:

I continue to be amazed at the help from this group!

I did not know if the side to side was normal. However, on looking at it again, it would have to be as the parts have not been worn to give the side to side movement. So now that makes sense to me.

The u-joint (female end) that came with the used rear-end I bought was EXTREMELY sloppy. This one (in the photos) is a very snug fit, I like that a lot.

I've got to satisfy myself that I can get it freed up, plus I have a lot of time before the car is all together. So I'll try it back in the vise again.

I was using Tri-Flow. Any other suggestions for what oil I can use while trying to free up?

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

It's not rust that stops it from moving, it's that damage that can be seen in the picture - so no more oil needed, just enough force to deform the burr from the damage.

You could probably put it in place and let the forces from use make it move, but then all the forces will be in the fourth main and the driveshaft bushing until it frees up - by doing it in the vice you have more control over the process :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration