Old Photo - Motley Service Shop Crew

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Motley Service Shop Crew
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Looks like another photo taken before brooms were invented ! If we knew when brooms became common we might be able to date more pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Two head honchos all dressed up in the front, the worker-bees kept in the back. Typical!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Hehehe!
Yep. The perceived clean and unclean. :-) Some of them fellas had a higher IQ than the front men.
"Not responsible for cars in case of fire"???
Thanks Jay! Great photo! I can't access the other site you post on anymore due to my use of Mozilla based web browsers so your posts are extra special!
That's a filthy Center-Door right in the foreground ain't it? The head lamps are crooked per usual...
Hats/caps and the lack thereof!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Is this motley crew from Motley, MN?

http://www.cityofmotley.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

It does get cold there. Radiators every ten or fifteen feet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:25 am:

looks like those are the guys that had to wash their hands before they went to the bathroom! they don't look very happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:40 am:

The Guy's in front want you to think they are ready to go to work (they have their sleeves rolled up) but they are just trying to keep the oil off of their shirts so the little woman dosen't complain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:11 am:

I wonder if they used floor sweep or absorbable back in those days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Yep. It gets "motlier" as it goes back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Ain't never read a manual 'cause that's like cheatin'
He don't mind the grease on his hands when he's eatin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:08 am:

The good part is that Wilton Vise is more than likely at work still!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

I think that saw-mule is holding up the boy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

The very tallest young guy behind him, in the extreme left hand rear corner looks like he could be the Son of "the boss" who is standing closest to the camera at the left front. If so, that kid will probably become "the boss" some day, as the "ol' man" is forcing him to "learn the business" from the ground up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

I would like to get a better look at that first car! It appears to be a '17 or '18 removable pillar coupe. I am pretty sure I can see the trim piece hinge in the bottom corner, and a division half way up the window where the piece folds down to cap the door. That, and given that it does appear to be a coupe, with oil sidelamps, would make it most likely a removable pillar car. Otherwise, just can't see enough of the car. Can't see the door hinges (one up high on later coupes, all down low on the removable pillar cars), or the roof-line (at least three variations in less than two years). Not enough is known about those coupes, and with several known variations, it would be helpful to see more of this one.
The car behind the removable pillar coupe, also does appear to be a coupe. But I cannot see enough of it to tell which kind. Can't even see if it has oil sidelamps or not. It makes me wonder about the coupe variations and time-line. I am curious, and have to admit that I do not know for sure? The removable pillar coupes were built in the latter 2/3s of 1917 and 1918. The more common later style coupe came about early in 1919 MODEL year, or late '18 calendar year. The starter became available a few months into the '19 model year on the enclosed cars. I am wondering how long, the common later style coupes were sold without the starter, and therefore still had the oil sidelamps? And how many may have been built that way?
So much more to learn. But photos like this help.
Thank you Jay!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration