Old Photo - Brass Era - Del Monte Race Track, Pebble Beach, California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Brass Era - Del Monte Race Track, Pebble Beach, California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Forget the race car, look at the parking lot! Pope Toledo, first & second cars in the foreground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Jerry V O, I had to look in "the Book" to pin down the years. Two of those cars do appear to be Pope Toledo cars. Maybe three?
The first car, the town car, may be a Pope Toledo, but the front of it is blocked by a couple of hats so that I would not be certain. The second car (apparently a touring) I recognized almost immediately looking at the picture as being a Pope. And the third car, appears to be a nearly identical model (compare the sidelamps, cowl, and hood lines that can be seen), and probably also a touring, but I can't be sure.
I just am not sure about what I call the first car, the town car. But the little that can be seen looks like it may also be a Pope Toledo. The other two, according to the pictures in Kimes and Clark appear to be 1905 or '06 model Pope Toledo cars.
Incredible photo! I sure would like to see those two race cars up close. Both are early style low profile cars with a driver sitting up high! Racing cars were getting away from that around '05/'06, but several continued for a few years.
Wonderful photo! Thank you Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Wayne,

I agree with you that the first car in the extreme foreground is a Pope Toledo as well as the next two cars. In addition to what you identified, I noticed the "point" at the top of the radiator (circled in the photo below). Also, a very small portion of the raised panel on the hood side can be seen as well.

Dan

Pope Toledo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration