Were all Model T top prop nuts the same diameter? What about 1914?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Were all Model T top prop nuts the same diameter? What about 1914?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

I have been doing a search on all the hardware for my '14 top. I found great info on the buckles and straps but the no mention of the diameter of the prop nuts. I have a 1 1/2" one and a 1 1/4" one. What would be correct for a 1914 Touring. I assume it was black and not brass. Also assuming the buckles for the rear stay straps, front hook and the bow tie down straps were steel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

All the prop nuts on my two '14 T's are 1-1/4" for what it's worth. One of them was a complete car that should probably not have been restored so I am assuming it is a correct original but that is just a guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Thanks Val. That is what I needed to hear. I will make a new one to match the little one unless I hear different.
Rich

This is the place to find good info isn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

I own one original prop nut and it's a two piece, 1-1/4" type. It MAY be correct for my 18 where it's been a long time...?? I do not know/wish I did.
I bought a repro and it's the three piece, 1-1/2" type even tho they're called two piece.
It appears to me, the vendors have only that sized option given them since at least 2004 (catalog) and the few I have/checked list that size for all years.
When you make that prop nut, you'll take pictures, right? ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I was surprised that there wasn't more definitive information on these. Some things we cover very well. Others not so much. I'm glad to hear of yours Duey. Maybe we will learn more here.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Sorry to have to complicate this, Rich, but my very untouched 1914 Runabout has 1-1/2" ones. If you have to make one, it isn't a lot of extra work to make two. If you can't find out what is correct, perhaps you could compromise and make both 1-3/8" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Could it be that Ford used a number of suppliers in '14 as he ramped up production and was not too concerned about a 1/4" difference from one supplier or another. I think we worry a lot more about these details than Ford did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

My 14 has the large ones which are covered in brass.I have been told they are wrong but i could care less!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

I'm sure if I make one it won't be exactly one or the other size. I should put a different one on each side for this car. I'm just in the mood to make something. I also enjoy knowing what is correct even if I don't do it that way. Thank you all for your comments. I will post it if I get one made.

Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on November 15, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Change of plan. Today while taking another look into the nether reaches out back I noticed some buggy top rails and irons. There were several small top prop nuts. I found them all to be within 1/16" of 1 1/4". Some on the small side some on the large. I now don't need to make any. This may be where the small ones came from if used early in Ford production.

I hadn't looked in this spot before as I had to move a 2 cyl Buick to get a ladder in there. I did a little Charlie Chaplin impersonation for about 5 minutes with the ladder. The ladder was a little heavy and in close quarters. A V8 generator fell from a shelf and spare bailing wire hanging from nails grabbed at the ladder. Anyone but me would enjoy a video of it.

I had been looking for buckles. Each time I look I find another one. It seems they grow on nails in strange places. Above windows you have to squint from the light. In dark corners there isn't enough light. Having too much stuff is it's own reward.

It still would be interesting to know more about what was used when. Perhaps knowing more would just cause arguments and frustration.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:04 am:

I've not done much research on these, but from what I've seen, all years Model T's are the same. Some years ago I needed a replacement for a T I used to own, and bought a repro from Snyders. With a little filing and sanding on the outer edge, I got it to resemble an original. I don't believe T's ever used the 1 1/4" version, even though they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Thanks Larry, I'm glad to here your view of it. You have done a lot of research on these things.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Larry, with all due respect, I beg to differ with you that the top prop nuts were the same on all years of Model T's.

My impression is that the early years were 1 1/4" and were black & that later years were 1 1/2", black or maybe nickel. I don't know when the change in size was.

I appreciate your zeal for authenticity in all matters concerning Model T's and would welcome your (and others also) research into this topic.

Thanks very much for your help on this.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:55 am:

I doubt Ford either produced these parts or specified the fine particulars of their manufacture. These were common hardware for hundreds or similar auto and horse drawn applications, where this Ford supply contract was likely let to the vendor whose product met general specs, could provide the needed volumes, at the lowest comparable cost. Reliable information supports that early Town Cars used leather upholstered prop nuts for the landau top. I have not see these used elsewhere, but perhaps others may have?
Regards,
Scott

Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, November 17, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

My 13 touring has 1.4" O.D. top prop nuts. They are old and my car was complete when found in the early 50's. It still has original top irons also. I know that they could have been changed at sometime over the years.

Just another input.

Les

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration