Old Photo - Brass Era - A Proud Filthy Ford Owner Posing With His Ride

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Brass Era - A Proud Filthy Ford Owner Posing With His Ride
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 07:37 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Nice pic Jay! At first I was expecting to see a "filthy guy", not a filthy Ford!! Ha ha. Just re-affirms an earlier post of mine where I mentioned it sure seems these people are hard on their cars! None of my cars ever would look that bad, modern or the T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:50 am:

I believe the condition of the car is testimony of the kinds of roads it traveled...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Am I right that those headlight appear to be older that the car should have on it? Or are the whited out by the camera?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Country folks didn't spend a lot of time worrying about how dirty their cars got. Probably got washed in the rain or very few times a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Looks like it's probably an early '14. Check out the speedometer gear and crank handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Just once, I would like to see a movie set in The Great Depression or earlier where every car parked along a dusty, down-on-its-luck cow-town curb looked like this instead of being coated in immaculately spotless paint and shod in brand-new wide white walls, and dripping with every conceivable accessory-including the trucks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

You have a point Dale. I think a lot of us would get a surprise on what T's really looked like before paved roads and city streets became the norm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

I remember watching a few movies set in the era back in the earlier '70s. This was after the famous "Bonnie and Clyde" and included the original "the Godfather" among several others in a few short years. I think it was in the "Dillinger" movie (1973). About halfway in the movie, John Dillinger is on the run, and meets up with some friends at an auto camp/hotel. Set during the depression, in an auto camp filled with down-on-their-luck migrants, (sort of in the background) is parked one of the most beautifully restored 1910ish model T touring cars you have ever seen, complete with bright white tires!
I never did hear who owned that car. But it was well known in the hobby that a couple local car clubs (somewhere in Texas if I recall correctly) helped provide cars for the making of the movie. It was a common snide remark (I am not the only one!) that you could almost hear the conversation: "Oh Jim is such a great guy, and his car is so beautiful. You just HAVE to put his car in some of the scenes---"
One wonders if the movie people aren't the only ones to blame for such anachronisms. It was a beautiful car. But it sure didn't fit into that setting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Wasn't the truck that was used in the depression era classic movie The Grapes Of Wrath a Model T Truck? I remember the truck well because it looked so ragged out. It was pretty authentic looking as far as being a vehicle that looked like it really was used and not slicked up for a movie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Up to the 1950s, some of the major film companies owned their own vintage automobiles. When an early auto wore out, it was junked. A few years back, a member stated that his 1910 T touring was found upside down in a California dump. It had been a movie prop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Hudson on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

John, as to the Joad's truck in "Grapes of Wrath". Owning a Model T, I'd be proud if the Joad's ride was a T as well. If you look at the radiator emblem, however, you can tell it's a Hudson sedan that's been converted into a truck. Being a Hudson myself, I always "Look for the White Triangle" :-)
-Jim Hudson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

According to the text of Steinbeck's novel, it was a Hudson Super Six.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration