Steering Column ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering Column ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:40 am:

I was looking at this steering column on the bay and they have it ID'ed as one for a TT truck. I know the lower bracket is TT (PN: TT392) but is the steering column itself from a TT? Looks like maybe it is an early 11-15 steering column with Brass Quadrant and Gear box. Here's a couple of pics I pulled from the auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-27-Model-T-Ford-TT-TRUCK-STEERING-COLUMN-Steering-Wheel-TT-932-Bracket/292316933138?hash=item440f726c12:g:T3UAAOSwVaVZ253s&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:56 am:

It is an earlier column with a TT bracket and later steering wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Yes, the cast brass quadrant was long gone before the first TT was made. This column also has no horn wire tube, placing it well before the first TT. My 8-5-28 parts book doesn't show any steering parts in the TT section, including the steering bracket. My guess would be that by the end they were using car parts for all the steering components.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Another example of using T parts to make up a usable steering column. A lot of parts would interchange and still work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 11:22 am:

If I had to make a guess it looks like to be a real late 12 early 13 by the bottom where it mounts against the Firewall the hole is lower on one side thanks again Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

I'll go with Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

My comment would be you could find the correct column and steering wheel for a lot less money. Even if you had to come up with the correct bracket that fits at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

No Mark - just the column is worth more than the "Buy It Now" price - hard one to find ! Most likely a "DB" gearcase & quadrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

I don't need the bracket or the column. Got an extra, but just looked a lot earlier than what I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Funny. The price is absurd for a common '20s steering column, T or TT. But a fair price (except for the shipping cost) for a decent '13 column. Another example of an ebay seller demonstrating how little they know about the stuff they deal in.
Although, I must say, it is nice to have them finding localized parts and making them available to a wide audience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

I am not talking about what the column is worth but if he is looking for a TT truck then it's too much and that is how I read the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Got it !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration